In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(slope)pendiente femeninocuesta femeninogradiente femenino América Latinaa gradient of 20% / of one in five — una pendiente del 20%
- A hundred hand-cut granite steps were laid to negotiate the steep gradient leading up from the riverbank, to a walk back through the top of the bluebell wood.
- On the upper part of the mountain the gradient was so steep that climbers had to lean forward to prevent overbalancing.
- Its high mobility enables it to climb steep gradients and sizeable steps.
- Conditions were heinous, the largely off-trail section proving unrideable due to dense forest, boggy peat, streams, briars, bushes and steep gradients.
- The gradient is steep to begin with as the road goes through sharp bends.
- The drive up the two lane mountain road with excellent gradients is 13 km.
- Road sections which included steep gradients, major drainage structures and thick chip seal surface layers were normally excluded.
- For traffic driving east, the road descends down a gradient of 0.023 through a wooded area with trees overhanging the road on both sides.
- This is a proper offroad vehicle - it climbed steep gradients with ease, using the tiptronic manual gear selector, and descended safely without the need to touch the pedals.
- Narrow-gauge locomotives were relatively small, and steep gradients and sharp curves reduced train speeds.
- To go over the Andes by rail entailed very steep gradients indeed, and when I come to write about rack railways I will come back to them.
- Their gradients are not steep enough to make a driver slow down any more than he would anyway at a road junction.
- The Keoghs, realising that their present house, built as it is on a steep gradient, is most unsuitable for a wheelchair user, decided to apply for the transfer.
- As we left Girvan, with the sun shining, the wind blowing in its usual and helpful easterly direction, we climbed away from the town on a good open track which, despite the steep gradient, added to a sense of keen anticipation.
- I hurtle past people carrying bags of shopping going uphill; the gradient is so steep I fear they will graze their noses on the tarmac.
- A fountain and water channel will see water flowing in spirals down the steep gradient of the street.
- The rise in altitude from 6,000 ft to double that was reached via heartstoppingly steep gradients and hairpin bends.
- A clanking, wheezing locomotive went past the cabin climbing the steep gradient.
- By following the ridge of the city's hills, it provides tolerable gradients and avoids steep inclines, which proliferate in the city's side streets.
- Dangerous inclines, gradients and sharp curves add to the mess.
2Física Matemáticasgradiente masculino
- We investigated the influence of temperature gradients between different mound heights on CO 2 concentrations.
- Differentiation is a method of working out the gradient of a curve - how quickly one variable changes with respect to another.
- We observed a gradient in the depth of the selective sweep, which becomes progressively deeper as you get nearer to the gene.
- In a moment we will demonstrate what the gradient of the curve at a point is, by examining a limiting argument.
- Let's choose the point x = 3, and try to decide what it means for the curve to have a gradient at the point.
- I assure you, however, I have accurately mapped the topological surface density and transitional energy gradients of the timeline in question.
- Distinct gradients in pressure were observed throughout the contact area.
- The abrupt changes in gradient visible in the graph are caused when the number of relevant genetic backgrounds i max changes from one integer value to the next.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.