In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- His grandfather's medals clinked as the old man brought his right hand smartly up in a salute.
- He was indeed politically aware, since his grandfather and father were both MPs and his wife was the daughter of another.
- My father and both my grandfathers were musicians and two of them played the trombone and one the tuba!
- Finbar spends one Saturday every month with his father, his grandfather and his great-grandfather.
- I often heard the lament that their Arab grandfathers and fathers had not thought enough about education, and had simply pushed their sons into the family business.
- I grew up in a musical environment, with my grandfather and father leading me.
- We heard our fathers and grandfathers argue over the same teams and players.
- It is believed that the girls had been visiting their grandfather with their mother from Pakistan.
- Her father and grandfathers were Presbyterian ministers.
- About ten fathers and two grandfathers took the opportunity to spend time with their children and grandchildren on Tuesday.
- The grandfather of the family is in charge of the hotel's small shop.
- His father's father fought in the First World War, while his grandfather on his mother's side saw service in the Boer War.
- His family travelled up, his grandfathers, father, brothers and friends, and they all made Matt's day very special for him.
- As the patriarch of the family, my grandfather commanded an enormous amount of respect.
- The field belonged to my grandfather and my father built our bungalow on the land in 1953.
- Historically, grandfathers or fathers would take the kids fishing, even if it was just to the local burn or pond, but that rarely happens now.
- Looking down the list now, I wonder how many of the families of those who worked at the gas works could ever afford to take advantage of the land their fathers and grandfathers worked on.
- The grandfather of three has concerns about the quality of education for the next generation.
- His grandmother was a singer, both his grandfather and father were principal dancers and his mother danced in the corps.
- I speak to you as a father, as a grandfather, and most of all as someone who cares deeply about all of you.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.