In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Johnson's expression is manly, vigorous, grandiloquent and bombastic.
- Shakespeare, to many, is almost like Indian mythology with its larger-than-life characters and grandiloquent plots and dialogues.
- Elie is a busy man, and has no time for such grandiloquent nonsense.
- But in no time one realizes that the claim is not grandiloquent, but humble.
- Some of the politicians who give grandiloquent speeches on Europe's future seem to know history only as far back as Hitler, Stalin and the Cold War.
- In the same grandiloquent tradition as Italian cinema, imagery is paramount in setting the mood and projecting the hidden psychology of the characters.
- Horace has a grandiloquent way of thinking about things.
- He duplicates the editors' preface in a rather grandiloquent manner.
- They feel so let down by a government that promised the earth - wonderful phrases, and grandiloquent language.
- The grandiloquent building in which the hotel is housed has been a city landmark since 1909 and it's a neo-classical façade is impressive, with tall, fat columns rising high above its entrance.
- Beijing made grandiloquent promises at the time.
- I can use the tools every other writer uses, the grandiloquent metaphors, the descriptions, but I don't think I'd be doing the reader any favors.
- To the delight of nineteenth-century readers, phrasings were predictably grandiloquent.
- His grandiloquent claim that there are five branches of the fine arts, and that the greatest of these is confectionery, is famous.
- You have to understand that he had a habit of making grandiloquent statements.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.