In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In extended families, grandparents, especially grandmothers, provide a good deal of child care.
- Some of my friends and patients nostalgically recall spending happy days off school with mothers and grandmothers.
- Police are searching for a grandmother who went missing with her two young grandsons.
- There were young mothers and grandmothers, all fussing over their children.
- The responsibility for looking after the children falls to their mothers and grandmothers.
- I did not know either of my grandmothers, but my mother was such a wonderful one to my children.
- Toys were generally restricted to gifts from my parents or from the grandmothers.
- Younger women can now navigate their way through a much wider range of life choices than their mothers and grandmothers.
- I had grandfathers and grandmothers and cousins and uncles and aunties, everyone was there.
- Yes, women's liberation has given us choices that our grandmothers and even mothers could only dream of, but it has its downside too.
- Perhaps one day they will be able, like their grandmothers before the revolution, to walk the streets with their hair uncovered.
- As a child he lived with his mother, his grandmother and a half brother in Domachevo.
- In addition, single working mothers leave many a child in the hands of grandmothers and aunts.
- Twin brothers have been left with their grandmother by a mother who can no longer feed them.
- Grandparents, particularly grandmothers, cared for the offspring of married sons or daughters.
- It's from our grandmothers and our grandfathers that we've learned about the land.
- The only difference is that most of them are now grandmothers like myself and we are usually to be seen with our precious grandchildren in tow.
- The grandmothers cheered as Jon caught his child and its mother in his arms.
- The age range there is from young mothers to great grandmothers.
- Of course, women's lives are very different to those of their grandmothers.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.