In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1cancha de pasto femenino América Latinapista de hierba femenino España
- His game is not typically suited to a grass court—the serve is not menacing and he plays from the back of the court.
- I'm really looking forward to the grass court season.
- Thirteen times this year he has stepped out on to a grass court and 13 times he has won.
- The final was his 29th consecutive win on a grass court, a record stretching back to 2002.
- The grass court is his preferred stage and he would love to win the best prize of all on it.
- He knows his way around a grass court but he can be infuriatingly inconsistent.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.