In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It only took 5 days to sink to the level of digging out ants and grasshoppers for ‘protein’ purposes.
- Watch a kite sweep the skies for large insects such as grasshoppers, cicadas and dragonflies.
- Aphids, grasshoppers, and gall wasps appear in the Cretaceous, as well as termites and ants in the later part of this period.
- The insect was later confirmed to be an Egyptian grasshopper, a voracious plant-eater normally found only in the Mediterranean area.
- The buzz of insects and the musical chirping of grasshoppers filled the air.
- Now, in August, the shrill sound of grasshoppers rang out across the undulating flatland beyond Sand Creek.
- Within the past decade, two bush crickets, relatives of grasshoppers, have arrived on local grasslands.
- They will eat insects such as grasshoppers in the summer and cereal seeds in the winter.
- Only butterflies, grasshoppers, mosquitoes and flies are netted there.
- A woodchat's prey is mainly insects, beetles, damsel flies, dragonflies, grasshoppers, wasps and bees.
- Even wild insects such as roasted grasshoppers, flying termites, and caterpillar skins are enjoyed as snacks.
- In Thailand, open-air markets sell silkworms, grasshoppers, and water bugs by the pound.
- They also occasionally eat insects, especially grasshoppers, cicadas and crickets.
- Soybeans have emerged in many fields and some plants have had minor feeding damage due to bean leaf beetles and grasshoppers.
- By mid-summer, both grasshoppers and corn earworms can be heavy feeders on a variety of crops.
- Seasonally they dine on insects, especially caterpillars, beetles, and grasshoppers.
- Locust normally live for two to six months and are similar to flying grasshoppers.
- A few small grasshoppers and lygus bugs were found in the alfalfa but the number of these pests was low.
- No, true locusts belong to the same family of insects as grasshoppers.
- Other insects, such as cutworm and grasshoppers, are general agricultural pests world-wide.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.