In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1anticuado(biker)miembro de una pandilla de motociclistas
- He calls himself a greaser - one of the poor, tough gang of boys who fights with the Socs, a gang of rich, violent boys.
- Ponyboy Curtis, a 14 year old greaser, tells the story.
- She'll play with me at home, but at school she hangs with the greasers.
- To make school interesting, he joined a greaser gang and fought violently with classmates.
- You can portray yourself as a greaser, a muscle man, a rocker, or a hippie chick, or dozens of other personalities.
- At dusk, some of the more streetwise black and white birds hang about on the suburb's street corners like 1950s greasers.
- He assures Pony that he doesn't have to be a greaser forever.
- Maybe it's the diminutive use of his name, but Jonny A seems like some kind of a greaser in a leather jacket.
- They are called greasers because of the hair oil they use.
- Ponyboy Curtis and his brothers, Sodapop and Darry, belong to a group of poor teenage boys called greasers.
- The plot revolves around the love story between the school greaser Danny and the virtuous newcomer Sandy.
- That evening there is a big fight between the greasers and the Socs, which the greasers win.
- A teen in a bouffant hairdo with a greaser jacket tears the poster down and, at the sound of sirens in the distance, leaps over a fence shouting ‘try and catch me, mister law and order!’
- Shawn was a greaser and Lila was dressed like she was from the fifties, poodle skirt and all.
- And of all the characters, Dan the greaser was definitely the most played out, the one who could be easily shepherded out of the story to correspond with this change of narrative direction.
2EEUU malsonante despectivo(Latin American)latino masculinolatina femeninosudaca femenino España coloquial malsonante despectivo
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.