In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1bisabuelo masculinobisabuela femenino
- On the drive home I realized that I not only know her mother, I knew her grandparents, and her great-grandparents.
- He said: ‘These are our grandparents and great-grandparents at work.’
- This is the sort of experience our grandparents and great-grandparents took for granted.
- In today's mobile societies, most of us no longer live in the locality where our grandparents and great-grandparents lived.
- The grave is where my grandparents and great-grandparents are buried.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.