In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1bisnieto masculinobiznieto masculino
- An old man who lives together with his sons, grandsons and great-grandsons is considered happy.
- The winner, who does not want to be named, has two grandchildren and a three-year-old great-grandson.
- Survivors include three daughters, a son, two sisters, four grandchildren, and a great-grandson.
- Being a father, he thinks of sons, grandsons, great-grandsons - a whole line of descendants.
- You can still see the instruments being hand-crafted by the great-grandsons of the original proprietors and thanks to the recent rebirth of flamenco this rich musical culture lives on.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.