In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1meridiano de Greenwich masculino
- It lies 102 ½ metres further east than the official Greenwich meridian and is the line used for all air and sea navigation.
- Here the zero lines of longitude and latitude - the Greenwich meridian and the equator - bisect.
- I stop just outside the front door, and am rather pleased to discover that I live exactly 0°1'2 ‘west of the Greenwich meridian.’
- Accurate measurements from space have led to another slight shift of the globe's most important line, and the GPS meridian now lies 102.48 metres east of the old Greenwich meridian.
- By international convention, it passes through the original site of the Royal Observatory in Greenwich, England; for this reason, it is sometimes called the Greenwich meridian.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.