In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He bred greyhounds for many years and had many friends in the racing fraternity.
- Deirdre said the main problem is that greyhounds are seen as racing dogs but not pets in Ireland.
- The plight of greyhounds past their racing days has touched the hearts of staff at a dog stadium.
- Some underfeed their whippets, lurchers, or greyhounds, because they mistakenly think these breeds are meant to be stick-thin.
- Earlier this month, a retired greyhound defeated a top racehorse to claim the crown of fastest animal in the racing world.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.