- A formidable creature half lion, half eagle, the griffin is said to be one thousand times stronger than any lion and five thousand times as farsighted as an eagle.
- She fingered the intricate carvings of a dragon battling a gryphon.
- Four heraldic beasts - two stags, a lion and a griffin - stand guard at a stone staircase opposite the coffin.
- An image of a griffin - which has the head and wings of an eagle, and the body of a lion-was duly sown on the club's purple guernseys.
- The pieces, which depict attack scenes between lions, bulls, and griffins, are distinguished by the trefoil rendering of the ears and the braided pattern of the hair along the body contours of the lions.