In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1oso pardo masculino
- There were wolves about in those days, as well as grizzlies in Montana and Alberta.
- By the time the adult grizzly wakes up in the spring, her baby is strong enough to follow her out of the den.
- The polar bear may surpass the Alaskan grizzly in size, with the maximum recorded weighing 726 kg.
- Two hundred years ago, as many as 100,000 grizzlies roamed the West.
- The area is home to around 40 grizzlies and an unknown number of smaller black bears.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.