In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He is athletic, can serve and volley, can also stay back and hit the groundstrokes with punch and precision on either flank and most importantly can get the first serves when facing the breakpoints.
- He's able to return everything that Clay throws at him whether it's a backhand or a forehand groundstroke.
- Lingering there to trade groundstrokes, which Sampras would occasionally engage in and even enjoy, was not for McEnroe.
- After losing the opening set, Pratt came out attacking early in the second set, matching Seles's powerful groundstrokes.
- He has a big serve and groundstrokes but probably needs to work on his volleys a bit.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.