In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1masculino grupo(visit/discussion) en grupo(portrait) de conjuntoin groups of three — en grupos de tres
- to form a group — (physically) agruparse
- a consumers'/women's group — una asociación / agrupación de consumidores/mujeres
- a feminist/gay group — un colectivo / una agrupación feminista/gay
- group booking — reserva de grupo
- group photo — foto de grupo
- We hope people will join together with family and friends, clubs and organisations to form groups to raise the money.
- Reading circles resemble college seminar groups except they are organized by participants.
- The big unanswered question: who benefits from largesse - interest groups or the common voter?
- Aid organisations and campaign groups, however, were less enthusiastic.
- These were groups organized to write letters to the editors of newspapers.
- It is small band of guerrillas without heavy artillery or any armor, organized in small groups.
- They range from individual registrants to private organisations, community groups and schools.
- Ten minutes later, we were organized into groups, and sent outside into the inviting rain.
- A host of groups and organisations have pledged to continue their support to reach the new target.
- Posters and entry forms were distributed to all schools, community groups, businesses and commercial outlets.
- Somewhere along the middle of this continuum lies self help groups and organizations.
- Both groups come together to share workshops, intensive training and performances.
- Women were organised into groups and group leaders were appointed.
- Money left over is to go towards a new parish council noticeboard and the remainder will be shared among local groups.
- We need to form a progressive coalition that includes the religious groups sharing our morality.
- When another publisher picked up the book and the controversy, feminist groups attempted to organise a boycott.
- I will certainly be contacting them and I hope to enlist the help of other disabled groups and organisations to protest against the ban.
- Your efforts to include many groups and organisations are excellent.
- For once the onus has not been placed solely on women's groups and non-governmental organisations.
- Youth clubs, after-school groups and organisations such as Scouts and Guides would be among those to benefit.
1.2Músicagrupo masculinoconjunto masculinoa pop/rock group — un grupo pop/de rock
- The interaction between the rhythm section and the rest of the group is beauteous to behold.
- Sharing the bill with The Beatles were the somewhat-overlooked group The Briarwoods.
- Space permits only a brief comparison here of the group singing of the Beatles and that of the girl groups.
- Rock'n'roll groups appeared on bills along with trad groups and pop singers - even some modern jazz made it into the charts.
- We're only influenced by two groups and that's the Beatles and the Stones.
- Lonnie equips his quartet with the dynamics of a big band while retaining the intimacy of a small group.
- Are they a natural conclusion to what the girl-led indie groups of the mid 90's didn't finish?
- It is yet another landmark in the career of one of soul music's greatest groups.
- On the evidence of this album, the group appear in complete and remarkable control of their art.
- Robert is joined by Vincent Courtois on cello and Cyril Atef on drums in a chamber jazz group of the highest order.
- Just don't expect it to sound like his old indie group, or much else for that matter.
- Now I know the purpose of this series is not to turn the two groups concerned against each other in some sonic battle royale.
- They are imitating the complex dance steps and hand jives that the group perform in their videos.
- Musically, the group captures a pressing sense of urgency devoid of anything trite or gimmicky.
- American observers have noted this ethnic diversity in rap groups in France.
- One of the most influential British indie groups of recent years have announced they are to split.
- The three groups represented on this album feature the ultimate in the sound and soul of brass band music.
- The album opens with the group's trademark sound in full effect.
- The group put on a frantic performance during a set that stretched into the night.
- Well ya gotta hand it to this super group for hammering together a release to be proud of.
2.1(of things)grupo masculino
- He also feared for the safety of other pupils when the boy ran towards a group leaving the class, on May 17 last year.
- Therefore tomato plants should be gathered in groups of 6 on either side of the front gate.
- The typical kind of call outs we are getting involve groups of youths gathering together.
- I used to take yoga classes, and group fitness classes, but that has fallen by the way side for the moment.
- This is the third year we have gathered together a group of friends to meet at Burke's Canoes in Forestville.
- As they approached the group of men gathered round her tents, she screamed in horror.
- We stood on the corner of one of the back roads when we were approached by a group of young boys aged about 10 to 12.
- He divided twenty-four of the plants into six initial groups of four, in order of size as estimated by eye.
- A group of maids had gathered together and were giggling and laughing over some unknown joke.
- The location of a taxi rank in the centre of town would lead to trouble, with large groups of people gathering together.
- One copy of this gene occurs in angiosperms, but two copies occur in the other four seed plant groups.
- To do this, push together chairs, stools and ottomans so small groups can gather.
- The extent of this clustering was similar in all four social class groups.
- Stars are not scattered randomly through space, they are gathered together into vast groups known as galaxies.
- You go to classes all day long and take notes and participate in group discussions.
- The sheets would be cut to approximate size, then they would be gathered into groups of three or four, folded in half and trimmed to the correct size.
- The four classes of protected groups are not defined, nor are criteria for their definition provided.
- To find answers this programme gathered together a group of eminent people from a variety of backgrounds.
- They tend to gather in groups and take short flights out to sea and back in again, practising for their long journey back out onto the ocean.
- Some walkers warned a group of four boys to get off the frozen river at Water End.
2.2(class, division)grupo masculino
3.1Comerciogrupo masculinobefore noun group company — colateral femenino
- We start with a joint session between the contracts and commercial law groups.
- Far be it from me to encourage you to buy a newspaper produced by another group.
- The promotion is the first time Scotland's seven major newspaper publishing groups have collaborated on marketing.
- Commercial groups or individuals will continue to pay for the use of the facility as before.
- Some general practitioners have moved from group to chain ownership of practice premises.
- Many official bodies and commercial groups regard stickers and pasted posters as closely related to graffiti.
- He pointed out that the group has a building contract and has also obtained planning permission.
- The syndicate will allow groups to find large commercial units with multi tenancies in prime locations.
4.1(of elements)grupo masculino
- Ramsay realized that argon and helium might be members of a hitherto unsuspected new group in the Periodic Table.
4.2(radical)grupo masculinoan ethyl group — un grupo etílico
- He was the first to give a proof that the Galois group is closed under multiplication.
- He studied primitive permutation groups and proved a finiteness theorem.
- Netto made major steps towards abstract group theory when he combined permutation group results and groups in number theory.
- Although Galois had used groups extensively throughout his paper on equations, he had not given a definition.
- One of the areas which his work took him into was infinite permutation groups.
1agruparthe students grouped themselves around the table — los estudiantes se agruparon alrededor de la mesa
- these cases can be grouped together — estos casos pueden ponerse en un mismo grupo
1to group around sth/sb — agruparse / formar un grupo alrededor de / en torno a algo/algn
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.