In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(of animals, plants, humans)crecimiento masculino
- These new pills increase growth in both fast and slow twitch muscle fibres.
- Large plants therefore have higher growth rates, lower mortality and higher leaf water potentials.
- Among the benefits of such optimization would be a reduced need for irrigation and more rapid plant growth.
- This allows more rapid growth than for a plant starting out from a seed, which has limited food reserves.
- Recently, the park authorities have measured the height of the birds and there has been a considerable growth.
- My wife asked me if, as a tree grows, the bottom branches move up with the growth.
- What to Plant - Species whose growth habit and mature size conforms to the size and shape you are looking for.
- The rapid growth of the city as well as a lack of maintenance has put an enormous strain on public infrastructure.
- If your seedlings lose their growth momentum, fast growing vegetation will overtake them.
- Planning is essential for this very strong-growing clematis which will put on an enormous amount of growth in one season.
- The adults were removed and the growth of the progeny was monitored twice a day until the next generation of eggs appeared.
- These units then have the potential to increase in size during growth of the animal.
- It's simple: to help push your muscle growth to new heights, you need to time your protein intake.
- Unplanned growth and the rapid increase in the number of vehicles are among the main reasons.
- The changes are actually a tribute to the city, a recognition that rapid growth forces nearly everyone to do things differently.
- They varied greatly in age, size, growth rate, and geographical areas covered.
- But the unchecked growth of this fastest growing city in Asia is robbing it of its green cover.
- In particular, size and growth rate are related to movement behavior in a complex manner.
- The symptoms of an aneurysm depend on its size and rate of growth.
- We found no difference in growth rate or size of individuals as a function of coating thickness.
1.2(personal development)crecimiento personal masculino
- She stresses the need for facilitating both physical and mental growth of children.
- They should also benefit from broader opportunities for personal growth and development.
- The above concepts are useful to guide personal growth and development.
- And we believe in demonstrating a commitment to personal growth through training and development.
- It also helped develop a positive attitude towards their personal growth and development.
- I think it's integral for the growth of our religion to continue to grow and evolve.
- Some people see the process of growth and development as very simple.
- Such findings could be clues to the problems with mental and physical growth that these children face.
- The result is a sublime and surreal saga of self-discovery and personal growth, of existential doubt and doubtful existences.
- To ensure people's prosperity, growth and development, the government needs to be efficient.
- Many Eastern breathing practices help you develop physical strength, spiritual growth and inner peace.
- This mental growth or development is dependent on maturation of the nervous system and on experience.
- This Meditation is a technique developed to achieve spiritual growth and illumination.
- Both groups of babies showed normal, healthy physical growth and their overall development fell within accepted norms.
- An increasing number of children suffer from stunted physical growth and slow mental development.
- The temple can serve to foster spiritual growth and development.
- It generates a sense of wellbeing and energy and is a powerful tool for personal development and spiritual growth.
- Noteworthy changes after treatment, such as spiritual change or personal growth, might not be measurable.
- Each archetype/aspect of Deity is a vehicle to spiritual growth and development.
- This teaching accounted for much of their spiritual growth and development of character.
2.1masculino crecimientomasculino aumento
- Is that explosive rate of population growth in this country sustainable?
- The growth in imports is, among other things, already straining the food safety system.
- The survey, taken last November, shows that order intake from the UK was still growing but the growth had slowed.
- Our growth confirms that we are the fastest growing political party in the country.
- The numbers of first-time buyers is likely to increase as earnings growth outstrips house price growth in 2005.
- The numbers of consultants need to increase, but growth in non-medical and nursing staff also needs to be greater.
- This figure might be viewed as the product of high demand meeting artificially low supply rather than being based on steady growth in rental values.
- The problem is not growth in the population per se, but growth of the unskilled.
- The fund's value increases each year in line with the average growth in wages.
- The sales director forecast further growth in both transactions and values in second-hand luxury units.
- By extension, growth in human population leads to an increase in demand for food, water and other natural resources.
- The continued growth in house values across Scotland suggests no imminent return to the nightmare of negative equity.
- A growth in the amount of books on herbs and their properties also begins later in the century.
- The large amount resulted from a growth in income and an increase in subscribers.
- Demographic growth and economic expansion have given the Turks increased weight in world affairs.
- The second cause was growth in the cost of imported materials.
- The region has been ranked as the second fastest growing in the UK, with a growth of 240,000 people in the past 10 years.
- If you pay only the interest every month, you rely on growth in the value of the property to clear the capital debt.
- There continues to be an aversion to tax increases and growth in government.
- Passenger growth is likely to grow significantly over the next five years.
2.2Comerciomasculino crecimientomasculino desarrollofemenino expansiónmasculino aumento
2.3(of influence, affection)aumento masculinogrowth in popularity/importance/status — aumento de popularidad/importancia/prestigio
3.1(what grows)prune away the dead branches to make way for the new growth — pode las ramas secas para dejar crecer los brotes nuevos
- several days' growth of beard — una barba de varios días
3.2Medicinabulto masculinotumor masculino
- Fibroids are benign growths (not cancer) in the muscular wall of the uterus.
- It can be effective in the treatment of cancerous growths, because malignant cells are more sensitive than normal body cells: the radiation can be applied to a particular area, whilst the rest of the body is shielded from it.
- Most pituitary tumors are noncancerous, nonspreading growths (adenomas).
- Often called the silent killer, colon cancer is believed to begin when polyps or small benign growths evolve into cancer.
- This is the start of a cancerous growth, or cancer tumour.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.