In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Both come with rice, a fresh tomato, cucumber and bocconcini salad, guacamole, and a handful of corn chips.
- Perhaps the best-known avocado dish is guacamole.
- Forget all those bastardisations of potato skins that have been deep-fried and smeared in guacamole.
- Your choices are: pan-fried onion, hummus, eggplant spread, sun-dried tomato, and guacamole.
- If you've only eaten avocados in guacamole, try them in salads, too, where they'll add richness and flavor.
- Here, too, were all the usual suspects: tortillas, guacamole, salsa, cheese and refried beans - it is a Mexican restaurant, after all.
- Burgers, with toppings like guacamole, blue cheese, and grilled onions, are served alongside thick potato wedges.
- They came with small dishes of salsa, guacamole and sour cream.
- We'd have margaritas and eat chips and guacamole.
- You're asked how spicy you'd like your first-rate, made-to-order guacamole, and that's how it comes.
- I have to go make homemade guacamole and sun-dried tomato dip, scarf down dinner, vacuum, shower and dress myself.
- So, smear the wrap or sandwich with guacamole, hummus, coleslaw or tzatziki and add in some salami, tinned tuna or grated farmhouse cheddar.
- Once we got to the beach, the rain tapered to a slight drizzle and we had our lunch of fajitas and quesadillas topped with fresh guacamole and a choice of mild or hot salsa.
- But it's a frankfurter served up Chilean-style, and that means a liberal topping of chopped tomatoes, guacamole and mayonnaise.
- Top salads and sandwiches with avocados or guacamole.
- Out goes cranberry sauce and in come chicken wings, chips, guacamole, pizza and beer.
- For starters, there's freshly mashed guacamole or tortilla soup.
- The dish did come with some great guacamole, seasoned rice, and a salad of lettuce and shredded carrot with a creamy dressing.
- Fresh ingredients, creamy guacamole and zingy seasonings combine for delicious flavor.
- Even the chips are the real deal; I inevitably end up eating more than I mean to, usually with a side of respectable chile con queso or guacamole.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.