In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in US)soldado de la Guardia Nacional masculino
- Seven national guardsmen were killed in the attack.
- The national guard plays a critical role in homeland security, but tens of thousands of national guardsmen are now deployed overseas, supporting the global war on terror.
- Likewise, a car bomb in Dura, Baghdad, killed 9 national guardsmen and wounded 20.
- As national guardsmen pounded Rebel buildings with artillery fire and guided missiles innocent civilians were caught in the turmoil.
- At Canal Street and the West Side Highway, emergency workers, national guardsmen, camera crews, citizens, and tourists were gathered.
- Although the national guard during Vietnam is quite - was quite a different institution than it is now, the fact is there are thousands of national guardsmen and women who are over in Iraq serving now.
- The camouflage Humvees were on every corner topped by national guardsmen.
- While chatting with some of the National Guardsmen, another guardsman approaches and informs us that a woman is in the middle of a stroke around the corner.
- A national guardsman charged with the murder of an Iraqi police officer has pleaded to a lesser charge of negligent homicide.
- A car bomb on Saturday reportedly killed four national guardsmen, while clashes took place on Sunday between guerillas and US troops in the city's suburbs.
- At Duneen Mill in Greenville, South Carolina, for example, 425 national guardsmen were deployed to break up pickets.
- If this unjust policy remains in effect, this will be the longest deployment of guardsmen and reservists since World War II.
- We were told to stay off the street by long-suffering national guardsmen and women with southern accents, kids.
- They hold reserves, they hold national guardsmen.
- By the end of the day, we had tallied only a few customers, mostly rescue workers and national guardsmen who needed to have their eyes irrigated of debris and their minor wounds dressed.
- It is present in the camouflaged armed national guardsmen who greet members of Congress each day we enter the Capitol campus.
- When the fighting was over, two national guardsmen were dead, and 19 were wounded, along with two Iraqi policemen.
- Snapping power lines, firecrackers, and nervous, untrained police and national guardsmen caused much indiscriminate firing.
- Among the thousands of rescue and recovery workers were more than 100 airmen, reservists and guardsmen wearing state and city police and fire fighting uniforms.
- And in the meantime, a team of national guardsmen, FEMA, as well as state highway patrol troopers stand at the ready to respond as necessary.
2(in UK)miembro de la Guardia Real masculino
- These foreigners come here, drop notes of assignation into sentries' top-boots, pin fivers on to guardsmen's bearskins.
- Hundreds of ex-servicemen suffering from Gulf War Syndrome could benefit after a former guardsman won a war pension over the condition in a ‘landmark decision’.
- Branchflower, 20, a guardsman with the Irish Guards, was deployed
- The West Yorkshire Regiment guardsmen were well prepared for the weather.
- The growing rail network gave further guarantees that Paris would be defended; in June 1848 the new lines were already in use to transport soldiers and national guardsmen to Paris to defeat the rebels.
- The palace was floodlit, a full-size Royal Standard, usually reserved for state occasions, was flying and guardsmen in bearskins were on sentry duty.
- The guardsmen, who are also crack paratroops, had been due to take part in a performance in front of the Queen.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.