In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Tourist guidebooks are full of stories about the tricks that rickshaw drivers pull on unsuspecting tourists.
- He said they had well marked walks with information on local history, flora and fauna and excellent guidebooks for the longer walks.
- Later on, this would also mean that his books of poetry and his guidebooks to English counties did tend to get reviewed.
- I have never really had much use for guidebooks, except of course to check out a few facts and those being mostly on a cultural basis.
- The guidebook is available from local book shops and tourist centres, price €9.95.
- Tourist industry guidebooks always tell you to tip handsomely.
- Our tourist guidebook had given little attention to the town and we now saw why.
- They ended up lost, in a part of Dublin not promoted in the tourist guidebooks and one of them had a bright idea.
- Begin thought up the idea when a tour guide operator called him asking if he wanted to place an ad in a tourist guidebook.
- I had read all these horror stories in guidebooks and western travelers had told me others, but all I saw was this incredible hospitality in India.
- What did the guidebooks tell nineteenth century travellers?
- Outside, office workers are hurrying home and the city's more adventurous tourists, guidebooks open at the Where to Eat page, are out hunting a restaurant for dinner.
- He bought a travel guidebook with addresses of places to eat and sent off applications.
- Information in the mainstream guidebooks being predictably thin, I turned to the ultimate travel guidebook - the Internet.
- There are many guidebooks to Montreal and this is a look at only a small selection of them.
- You can view much of what it has to offer by car, following any of the eight auto tours mapped out in guidebooks available at the three visitor centers.
- His son did the research for a guidebook to Italy which was a popular companion on the Grand Tour.
- It is a shame that the museum does not offer descriptive text in English or a guidebook to assist the visitor to learn more about what's on show.
- Part of the fun of preparing for a holiday is buying guidebooks before you leave, and then pawing over the pages in anticipation.
- Today, the company has more than 600 guidebooks that cover the globe.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.