In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He has presided over the greatest redistribution of wealth since the 1960s, according to the Institute for Fiscal Studies, yet is offered gushing praise by the right wing Institute of Directors.
- Then, the article starts off with a gushing flashback story about the wonderful world of hockey cards that existed for kids 50 years ago as remembered by an interviewed subject named Brian Price.
- The trio were doing their best to be helpful, but young blokes are not renowned for their communication skills and this, combined with 14 months' worth of tour fatigue, didn't make for the most gushing of chats.
- At the risk of sounding like a gushing school girl, it is super exciting to report that one of the most interesting bands currently making pop music, The Clientele, are in the studio recording a new album!
- At about the same time, I will be in another plane, bragging about you to my poor seatmates, who will soon put on their headsets, having had enough of a mother's gushing pride.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.