In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- That way you get the full-on olfactory experience of breakfast (which would get you out of bed), and you also get the full-on gustatory experience when you're drinking your coffee.
- Pollan embarks on a philosophical and gustatory road-trip across the spectrum of modern eating.
- Look beyond such gustatory delights, and you'll find there's also plenty of history here.
- I'm not entirely sure why other food products like beef and sweet corn have been exempt so far, but I suspect that the reasons are mainly economic and social rather than gustatory.
- Olfactory or smell nerve cells are stimulated by the odors around us, whereas gustatory or taste cells react to food and beverages.
- Hunger could have an effect on the tongue's taste receptors, or on how the brain perceives gustatory information.
- Other work from the Jeffery lab suggests that the expanding genes are responsible for an increase in jaw size and the number of gustatory receptors.
- The cafeteria should be a masterpiece of gustatory serenity - there is no reason to expect anything less.
- And indeed, judging by the guest's drooling, lip-smacking and eye-rolling, he finds this Camembert something out of the world, beyond all his gustatory experience.
- Recently, however, two of the city's most venerable gustatory landmarks, P.J. Clarke's and the main dining room at the Carlyle Hotel, have attempted to buck this immutable trend.
- I regarded the wretched, debauched souls around me downing their chocolate chip cookies and fries as mere animals reduced to satisfying gustatory lusts.
- The gustatory sense organs in higher vertebrates are limited to the cavity of the mouth.
- Too often we are so distracted by the myriad restaurants and products available to us - and the gustatory experience they promise - that we don't notice the real Chef behind the banquet.
- However, there is still controversy as to whether combination of these four primary tastes adequately describes all gustatory experiences.
- And of course, there were the dishes prepared within a 60-minute time limit - the gustatory works of art created looked every bit as appetizing as I imagine they tasted.
- There are two primary forms of chemoreceptors: gustatory and olfactory, which are responsible for the senses of taste and smell.
- Still, is it not beneath our dignity to indulge in gustatory delights to the extent that we appear to be more concerned about stimulating our tongues and stomachs than our brains?
- Such a sense of the right taste often though not always produces a gustatory conservatism.
- Imagery should involve as many of the five senses - auditory, olfactory, tactile, gustatory and kinesthetic - as possible.
- Fat and sweetening agents were eventually introduced to the mix, which may have compromised the dough's shelf life but certainly enhanced its gustatory appeal.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.