In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In the afternoon, I encountered another hair-raising incident.
- Even a thought of this kind might be hair-raising.
- Four asylum-seekers spent 18 hair-raising hours clinging to the underneath of a coach in an attempt to get into the UK.
- Even within such parameters I have had plenty of adventures of my own abroad, some more hair-raising than others.
- The howling of the sirens, which shriek to announce the beginning and end of each air raid alarm, merge into a single, hair-raising noise.
- To that end, he embarked upon wholesale change: 14 players in and 14 out during that hair-raising first season.
- Their caustic relationship alternates between comic turns and hair-raising go-for-blood verbal combat.
- A family is setting off on what many would consider a hair-raising adventure by upping roots and moving to the other side of the globe.
- The hair-raising charity event may yet turn out to be the least perilous experience of the 43-year-old's recent career.
- A number of large financial advisers have bought the membership list and are bombarding policyholders with some fairly hair-raising literature.
- Then he has the other cars brought closer together and repeats the hair-raising movement into such a confined space that one of them has to be moved to let him out again.
- Bristling with wit and invention, these tales are full of hair-brained schemes, hair-raising moments, and incredibly close shaves.
- They can be pretty hair-raising, these happy endings.
- Fifteen minutes later, after hair-raising swerving and lane-changing, we ended up at a gem-dealer.
- They had vast tracts of possession, got themselves into some highly promising field positions but were undone at the tackle zone with hair-raising regularity.
- It's not as hair-raising as I thought it might be - mostly uniforms in display cases and a cannon in the middle of the room.
- The short second act ends with the vow of martyrdom, setting the stage for one of the most hair-raising operatic finales.
- Getting a real good hair-raising scare will produce an increase in an individual's terror.
- Dogs howled or let out hair-raising deep-guttural sounds.
- Viewers could not help screaming and offering instant forgiveness because the hair-raising act had been so nearly perfect.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.