In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(distinction) demasiado sutil(approach) excesivamente minuciosoa hairsplitting argument — una discusión sobre nimiedades
- Ecclesiastical historians will tell you that hair-splitting issues are the ones that cause havoc among the zealots.
- I've never been surer of anything in my life, despite what they say about their hair-splitting coverage.
- It's bad luck and bad timing, but it does count for something in this hair-splitting contest.
- The pursuit of physics by hair-splitting quibbles and scholastic logic applied to Aristotle's texts, as in this first long manuscript of Galileo's, was more an elaborate verbal game than an investigation of Nature.
- Then they became immersed in hair-splitting debates about difficult ‘moral’ decisions but within a context where everything was justified if politically useful.
- How can the Supreme Court possibly know what the most divisive policy is with respect to these hair-splitting distinctions.
- The fact that he is operating in such a crowded field, and the need to demonstrate originality, leads the author into a number of distracting, hair-splitting arguments, often with fairly marginal historians.
- There's plenty of artful writing and thought here, and her wit makes even the excess historical padding and linguistic hair-splitting palatable.
- A good example of this is the often hair-splitting legal distinctions between valid and invalid transfers.
- Any delineation between the nominally public and non-public spheres is now a hair-splitting irrelevancy.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.