In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Gunfire erupted after a convoy of Haitian police and Brazilian peacekeepers entered the slum on Sunday afternoon in trucks, in a mission that police said was aimed in part at removing roadblocks.
- There were exorcisms and holy-rolling - Haitian voodoo by another name - as people writhed and convulsed on my parents' floor.
- Fusing the traditional rhythms of the Caribbean with contemporary song structure, this Haitian band - all 12 of them - offer up an all - singing, all-dancing slice of Vodou rock.
- People here all have negative ideas about Haiti, but Haitian culture has a positive side.
- Unfortunately, this is not an uncommon sentiment in the Dominican Republic, which is frequently criticized by international human rights groups for its abuse of Haitian workers.
- Montreal's Haitian community is particularly strong, and on Wednesday, Sept.21, the line-up for a series of events celebrating Haitian culture was unveiled.
- I first had to learn the language and find a way into Haitian society.
- He expected to see cases of tetanus soon and said he, another Haitian doctor and a handful of Argentinian army medics cannot cope with the scores of people needing treatment daily.
- The arithmetic of Haitian health care is simple.
- It has been used, over the years, in American university linguistics departments, as well as to help train diplomats who will go on to deal with Haiti, and is now being studied in Haitian schools.
- ‘When I was working as a model from '92 to '98, I was the one and only Haitian girl working,’ she says.
- After a last evaluation I made during a meeting with the person in charge of Haitian security in Port-au-Prince, and the person in charge of American security, the truth was clear.
- But a storm on Monday forced the Solie River to burst its banks, sweeping away a neighbourhood of wooden shacks built by Haitian migrants working in Jimani.
- Because many Haitians are often forced to squat in uninhabited areas of the island to maintain anonymity, I wanted to shed light on the untold horror stories of Haitian migration.
- The Canadian party received US $150,000 annually from the Soviets throughout the 1970s and 1980s and was used to funnel funds to Haitian communists.
- In fact he is another perennial presidential candidate, delighted to have the chance to burn precious artifacts linked with voodoo and other aspects of Haitian culture - and to do so in full view of the international press.
- Last week's festivities were held to mark 200 years of Haitian independence from France - creating the world's first African republic.
- By 1803, Napoleon had more pressing concerns closer to home to occupy his mind; he decided to recognize Haitian independence from France, if Toussaint were to retire from public life.
- More than that, we have to project a multiculturalism that makes it clear that we can translate it all - Arabic, Ghanaian Twi, Haitian patois and other languages.
- But a legacy of dependency on Haitian labour is matched by a stubborn ideology of racism, through which Dominicans are taught to despise the people who do the work that no self-respecting Dominican would do.
1haitiano masculinohaitiana femenino
- Our ancestors who came to this land in much the same way that the Haitians are coming now would neither expect nor accept any less from us.
- France was a safe haven for many educated Haitians, and only a few middle-class Haitians chose to go to the United States.
- The lower class is most often black, descendants of the African slave population or Haitians.
- At city hall, we were swallowed into a crowd of thousands of Haitians waving signs and screaming demands for justice.
- Duvalier, whose regime was responsible for killing tens of thousands of Haitians, welcomed the landing of US Marines.
- The eight million Dominicans have twice as much land and many times more jobs than the eight million Haitians, whose economy is going nowhere.
- And should there be a flow of Haitians into Florida, Florida voters may be looking for someone to pin the blame on.
- He is pleased the works are available to Haitians living here but agrees their use in Haitian schools is the most important accomplishment.
- 200 years ago, thousands of Haitian slaves staged a successful armed revolt against a much larger French occupying force, becoming the first and only successful revolution of enslaved people.
- I don't think I'm overstating when I say that Haitians just love a good story.
- However, the Haitians seemingly placed equal emphasis on nonphysical components of health and illness.
- Many Dominicans, whatever their skin color, view Haitians as African, and unlike themselves.
- The intended beneficiaries of the appeal were not starving Somalis or hungry Haitians.
- Even worse conditions exist in the sugar-cane plantations that employ Haitians and Dominicans of Haitian descent.
- But the Dominicans have twice as much land and many times more jobs, and they need Haitians to work on their farms and construction sites.
- We won preliminary court relief, requiring that the Haitians be afforded counsel before repatriation to Haiti.
- The story hobbles through the feelings and thoughts that the recent history of the country must give to Haitians, and we sense a missed opportunity.
- The Haitians won their independence early in the nineteenth century.
- Meanwhile, Bourque hopes to win Haitians back by promising his mayoral salary to the fight against gangs, a big issue among Haitians.
- She says Haitians sometimes view Haiti through two extreme prisms.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.