In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1media docena femenino
- With Mary Pierce, Martina Hingis and Lindsay Davenport ranked in the top half-dozen, women's doubles is hitting a golden era.
- One day in early December of 1996, Moira and a half-dozen fellow students decided to occupy the school.
- He is now working with his fifth manager in three years and, if Dalglish really doesn't take it permanently, it will be a half-dozen.
- A half-dozen young skaters with boards under their arms sit down on a long bench up against the wood.
- Not only the above half-dozen but all the lads on the panel know what the build up to an All-Ireland final is like.
- Whenever we go up there, we often stop off just to buy a half-dozen to take back to Canberra.
- Back in 1991, more than a half-dozen Arab nations were part of our Desert Storm coalition.
- The half-dozen or so low cigar-shaped mounds are pillow mounds relating to a more recent rabbit warren.
- In Melbourne there have been twenty four gangland killings, the last half-dozen amid the general public.
- Situated off the north coast of Jura, it is one of the half-dozen biggest maelstroms in the world.
- Doves are smaller than chickens, so you eat three or four instead of half of one, just as we usually eat a half-dozen or more perch compared to a single walleye fillet.
- The half-dozen or so cultivars of this herb include both green-leaved and red or purple-leaved forms.
- Of the half-dozen or so charities who enjoy her patronage, most will be aware of Booth's public skills as a communicator.
- Now it will be a struggle for Nader to increase his ballot presence in more than a half-dozen or so states.
- He was the only mourner among the half-dozen without a formal reason for being there.
- The 23-year-old was rarely out of the first half-dozen in the sprints this year in his first Tour, and will surely win a stage soon.
- For transport policies, we know we are in the top half-dozen in the country.
- In fact, of the half-dozen, only the Toronto Maple Leafs appear in with a chance to challenge for Lord Stanley's jug this season.
- Almost a half-dozen were taken to hospital with injuries.
- A half-dozen of his own modern examples were shared by two or more.
1a half-dozen eggs — media docena de huevos
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.