In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Many pinks are hardy perennials, while others are half-hardy and grown as annuals.
- These peppers are half-hardy annuals, easy to grow from seed.
- Begin to harden off half-hardy plants in a cold frame or tucked under a sheltering wall outside.
- The awful thing is that they are all perfectly acceptable names for the same old-fashioned and rather modest little half-hardy perennial plant that used to be seen in garden flower borders all over.
- They raise roughly 4,500 hardy and half-hardy annual bedding plants each year from seed for containers and various areas of the garden including the box parterre.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.