In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1con entramado de madera
- I had tried to think of it as little as possible, but now that I searched for words all that came to me were pictures, images of tree-lined walkways, half-timbered houses, narrow streets and secret stairways.
- But Space House is not remotely like any of its brick or half-timbered neighbours.
- The 300 year-old half-timbered stilted building in the High Street has been a focal point for the town for many years.
- Built as a half-timbered hall by the Brownlow family, the house was extended by its owners in 1591 and 1648.
- Treven Hall had been an Elizabethan, half-timbered manor house.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.