In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(of money, food)dádiva femeninoI don't need handouts: I want a proper job — no quiero limosnas / dádivas, lo que quiero es un trabajo como Dios manda
- there will be no handouts in this year's budget — no habrá dádivas / regalos en el presupuesto de este año
- As my colleague states, a large part of our salary goes towards our pension every month, and we are not just given the money as a golden handout from the taxpayer.
- Yet they live from handouts, financed by taxes on our hard-earned income.
- Some of the people who blindly followed the incumbent leader preferred to keep him so that they could benefit from his handouts.
- Labor delivered several generous tax handouts to the wealthy and corporate elite under Hawke and Keating.
- The early handout of taxpayers' money was neither commercially prudent nor correct use of public funds, adds the report.
- Retailers are expecting budget handouts to continue to help boost their coffers.
- Charities across south Essex have benefited from a handout of Lottery grants totalling more than £220,000.
- I didn't have to grovel for a handout from my parents anymore.
- The company used the same threat of closure to pressure governments for financial handouts.
- The financial handouts for the Association of Banks will be paid for through drastic job cuts in the fields of education and culture.
- Millions are dependent in retirement on State handouts funded by taxes on those still in work.
- Much of the funding will be poured straight into corporate coffers via bigger tax handouts and research subsidies.
- Neither Kallie or Erik took handouts from their parents the first few years, they made their own money.
- Since she came to the city Daphne has always worked and proudly declares she has never received any benefit payments or handouts.
- Five groups in the district are among the 178 organisations in the south-west that will benefit from the latest handouts.
- Businesses have systematically used concern with homeland security to win public subsidies and handouts.
- Although renowned for its corporate generosity, Tata does not subscribe to the model of donations or welfare handouts.
- This implies the continuation of a low wage economy and huge tax handouts to the multinationals.
- Nor can East Timor expect to survive indefinitely on international handouts.
- They sought no national awards, no positions of authority, no bribes, no handouts from government.
2.1(advertising leaflet)folleto masculino
- When he found it too tiring to persuade by talking, he collected as much information as he could about smoking and printed it out as handouts.
- Try telling students that you will be giving a handout after presenting the material, but that you'd like them to listen and think for now.
- The reference materials and handouts can be used in a variety of ways.
- The poster had no printed handouts to go along with it, and was displayed for about three days.
- Here is a picture of one of his supplemental handouts, dealing with Easter.
- Adapting pre-existing materials designed as handouts or revision notes can sometimes save considerable time.
- The reference materials and handouts in this manual can be used in a variety of ways.
- All of these new skills have been put to use at home producing professional looking handouts and display materials for work.
- A checklist for returning to work is provided in the patient information handout that accompanies this article.
- A patient information handout on snakebite prevention and first aid accompanies the article, on page 1377.
- Actually, so boring I even did not wait for the free handouts that seems to be part of this kind of events.
- Next to the wall to Jen's left were tables filled with office materials and handouts.
- Students were divided into small groups and given handouts on the material.
- I hope this article may be used as a parent handout to help parents feel comfortable talking about weight issues.
- A patient information handout accompanying Dr. Kligler's article helps explain these effects.
- The cost per child is €70 and each child will receive a handout of the material being covered and a Music for Minors folder to put their work into.
- Looking at the fine print on the election handouts for the Chant and King teams, Shaggy spotted a familiar name authorising them.
- Piano roll graphs of each phrase were printed for handouts to be used with the analysis.
- Print a stapled handout of the 5 or 6 pictures and give each person a copy.
- His handout provided keys to the species, hybrids and structure which I have loosely interpreted to help you understand this genus.
2.2(at lecture, in class)(que se distribuyen a los asistentes) notas femenino
2.3(press release)comunicado de prensa masculino
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.