In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Britanico(of packet, etc)entrega femenino
- Blair wants UN involvement and a handover to a civil administration under a UN mandate as soon as possible.
- What's your assessment of the change of the handover and how that might affect things?
- The talk in Britain was of what to do with the potential asylum-seekers who might head for the UK if the handover went wrong.
- It would need an orderly handover of some of our responsibilities.
- Those concerns are reasons for Brown to push for an early handover.
- Mr Coutts-Wood recommended that both medical staff and paramedics should read report forms together during patient handovers and discuss any extra verbal information.
- He is one of the key negotiators of the parks handover and joint management.
- Have you witnessed any major changes since the handover to China?
- A club statement said his departure from the board ‘will be effective at a mutually convenient future date when all the necessary handovers of responsibilities have been completed’.
- The High Court case centres on eight travel journals, including one account of the handover of Hong Kong to China.
- Critics initially bemoaned bungled handovers from London and perceived parochialism.
- There has been a feeling that the outbreak of democracy represented a Latin American ‘spring’, with the countries now becoming accustomed to democracy and smooth handovers of power.
- I don't usually do handovers on a Sunday, but as the guy was so nice, I decided to make an exception to my rule.
- Most of the staff were inside buildings preparing for the shift handover.
- This handover is not going to happen and there will be a gap.
- The Conservative leader will probably hang on to his job but only long enough to allow a smooth handover to a younger politician.
- The handover came in the same week that South Lakeland district councillors called for a public inquiry to decide the issue.
- Why was the information not communicated to me earlier and in fact left until after the handover and transfer of funds?
- With the handover in sight and the rifts patched over, the chancellor and prime minister have never been so publicly united.
- Meetings will be held with all the staff to inform them of the changes and ensure a smooth handover.
2(of power)cambio de mando masculino
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.