In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1trabajos forzados masculinohe was sentenced to four years at hard labor / (British) four years hard labor — lo condenaron a cuatro años de trabajos forzados
- Publicly reviled, convicted of sodomy, he was sentenced to two years' hard labour in Reading gaol.
- They may be classified in a number of categories descending from ‘free exile’ to penal sentences with hard labour.
- His punishment includes hard labor in the field and mortality.
- Sentenced to hard labor, most of Angola's lifers work in the fields abutting the Mississippi.
- The new rules will remove outdated references to penal servitude and imprisonment with hard labour.
- He spent nearly three years in prison, sometimes in solitary confinement, sometimes doing hard labour.
- Hannah received no punishment and Rachael received two years hard labor in Mount Pleasant prison.
- The punishment is one years hard labour in an Alabama jail.
- The governor recommended that prisoners who could not be sentenced to hard labor should be paroled.
- He was sentenced to life imprisonment with hard labour.
- Given an outstanding sentence for twenty-two years of hard labor, he's not been back.
- He was sentenced to fifteen years' imprisonment with hard labour and ten strokes of the tamarind birch.
- If found guilty they should face the death penalty, in those countries which have it, or life imprisonment with hard labour elsewhere.
- Max Stuart spent more than 15 years in Yatala prison with hard labor after his sentence was commuted to life imprisonment.
- But after two years hard labour and solitary confinement at the foot of the Third Division, Todd clings to the belief that the parole date is looming.
- Men who failed to enlist, to attend a medical examination, or to serve in the armed services faced a maximum penalty of six months' imprisonment with hard labour.
- However, 23 were sentenced to prison terms, including hard labour for between one and five years.
- Soon we shall be asked, perhaps, to respond to a referendum suggesting the return of hard labour in our prisons.
- Max Stuart's death penalty was later commuted to many years of hard labor in Yatala prison.
- Xhemil Tamani spent five years in prison doing hard labor.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.