In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1liebre femenino(as) mad as a March hare — más loco que una cabra coloquial
- to raise / start a hare — irse por las ramas
- to run with the hare and hunt with the hounds — servir a Dios y al diablo
- Woodpigeons are attacking what is left of the cabbage and sprout crops and damage by rabbits and hares has been reported to apple trees in the area.
- European game animals include various deer, wild boar, hare, and rabbit.
- The recent Burns Report into hunting concluded that hunting with dogs ‘seriously compromised the welfare’ of foxes, deer, hares and mink.
- All young broadleaf sites should be adequately fenced with rabbit wire to prevent damage from rabbits and hares.
- As any schoolchild knows, hares don't live down burrows, rabbits do; hares live above ground at all times.
- Wildlife, particularly rabbits and hares, act as reservoirs of disease.
- We who hunted rabbits, hares, pigeons and pheasants as part of our wintry routine were certainly aware of the mad March hare days.
- Moors and heaths would have supported populations of wild horses and cattle, hares, wild goats and smaller creatures like voles, snakes and lizards.
- Animals such as deer, boar, hares and rabbits lived in woodland surrounding most villages.
- Other causes of damage in young trees can be grazing by animals such as hare and rabbits and trespass by cattle or sheep.
- The reserve is also home to mountain reedbucks, common duikers, hares, guinea fowl and butterflies.
- In a peak year for hares, the hares edged out the voles as a source of meat for both adult owls and their owlets.
- Deer, hares, rabbits, mice, rats, pigeons, crows and many insects have to be ‘controlled’ in order for these crops to thrive.
- Rabbits and hares are a universal pest, particularly while vineyards are being established.
- Three species of hares are native to California, the snowshoe, black-tailed, and white-tailed.
- Most hunts say there are enough options open to them within the legislation to allow foxes, hares and deer to be legally chased by hounds, though guns may need to be used for the kill.
- Traditional methods of using beating and hunting dogs are also engaged to corner and hunt muntjacs, wild boars and blacknaped hares.
- The family Leporidae consists of 11 genera and around 54 species, commonly known as hares and rabbits.
- Rabbits, hares, and a few other species make up the Lagomorpha.
- He said: ‘I've noticed an increase in birds and a lot more hares since the grassland has been in place.’
1to hare in/out/up/down — entrar/salir/subir/bajar a la carrera / como un bólido coloquial
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.