In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- We haven't reached the limits of human performance in sport or in any other field.
- The band haven't finished the album but they know how I want to finish certain songs.
- Their beaming faces give the impression that they haven't got a care in the world.
- Why the men haven't been rolling up their sleeves and doing their bit is not entirely clear.
- If you haven't worked out exactly what this film will be like by now, there's no hope for you.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.