In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1directora (de colegio) femenino
- People used to think I was joking when I told them the headmistress of my Glasgow convent school warned us that if we wore patent shoes to the school dance, they might reflect our underwear.
- When we got there, there was a long hallway with portraits of the past headmasters and headmistresses hanging on the walls and an oak doorway at the end of the hall.
- She sounded like a school teacher - a headmistress - telling a child to stay behind, prepare for a detention.
- The new headmistress of Horton-in-Ribblesdale primary school says she is more than ready for the challenges that lie ahead.
- Ivy Starkie, the headmistress of Threshfield Primary School for the past 25 years, retired.
- The first headmistress of Altrincham Grammar School for Girls was once a tutor to royal children and the school is to be given priceless sketches of the Queen Mother and the Prince of Wales by Salford artist Harold Riley to mark the occasion.
- His father is a captain in the British Guards and his mother is the headmistress of a prep school in England.
- He was taken to the ‘sick room’, where he was told to lay down for a while, and the headmistress phoned his dad, (I was away for the weekend with my hubby).
- Elizabeth Lister has been the headmistress at Westgate Primary School, on Scarborough Road, for the past nine years or so.
- The headmistress of Rainhall Road Primary School, Barnoldswick, issued a blunt warning regarding statements about the closure of the school.
- The headmistress of our primary school said the schools will not be aware of how they are ranked.
- I know Mrs Havelock, the headmistress at my junior school didn't really approve of the word nice, but in this case it truly was.
- I would have said it to any other teacher in the school, but the headmistress was going a bit far.
- There are five teachers plus a headmistress, and a classroom and school facilities, including computers and the Internet.
- Twenty-two sheep found themselves with a week's detention at Ingleton Middle School after the headmistress, Mary Parker, impounded the woolly creatures.
- At Walthamstow High School for Girls the headmistress called in the police to barricade the young women in the school with police vans.
- We also reveal today a shocking incident which took place last week, when an eight-year-old boy at a Glasgow primary school assaulted his headmistress so severely she required hospitalisation.
- We both got dragged of to the headmistress, but I swear from that day on she never bothered me again and nor did anyone else.
- It's like the headmistress of your secondary school has legged it and the PE teachers have spotted their chance to seize power.
- Winning competitions is definitely a bonus, and Philip is even given time off by his headmistress at Oldfield Primary School to take part.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.