In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1ola de calor femenino
- By the middle of the century lengthy heatwaves will occur in nine out of ten years throughout much of the southern and eastern parts of the region with nighttime temperatures becoming unbearable.
- In particular, there is likely to be a reduction in water for southern and eastern Australia, with more fires and heatwaves, fewer frosts, less snow and more coral bleaching.
- Yesterday saw temperatures among the highest recorded for April, and the heatwave was expected to continue today.
- On the down side, I have proved to myself that citrus really do need to be nursed through heatwaves.
- Much of England was hit by violent storms as the heatwave that had engulfed the country over the past few days turned to torrential rain.
- June is a funny month seeing anything from snow to thunderstorms to heatwaves.
- In the same way, we cannot say which of the heatwaves were man-made and which were natural, but we can apportion blame for the change in risk.
- Such heatwaves can lead to heat exhaustion, and even death, particularly among the very young or old.
- A large number of studies show that urban populations in the USA and Europe have successfully adapted to recurrent extreme weather events and heatwaves.
- Weather forecasters predict the heatwave will continue in the Bradford district into next week.
- The boast came even as summer heatwaves in neighbouring eastern provinces put severe strain on already over-stretched power resources.
- World temperatures are continuing to rise and extreme weather conditions, such as droughts, floods and heatwaves, are becoming alarmingly common.
- For anyone living outside the UK a heatwave means that the weather has cleared up a bit and there's no need for a coat.
- Australia could be up to two degrees Celsius warmer by 2030 and face more bushfires, heatwaves and storms despite global efforts to reduce greenhouse gases, a climate change report showed yesterday.
- Brisbane has gone from heatwave to torrential downpour and back to heatwave.
- The film's subject matter of human civilization wiped out by the elements is eerily highlighted by newsworthy weather events of 2003, including the heatwaves in Europe and India that killed tens of thousands of people.
- Floods, storms, heatwaves and droughts have created headlines in the UK over recent years.
- A year after the event, the health minister resigned and the government announced that in future heatwaves, everybody should go to the movies because they're air-conditioned.
- Extreme weather events, floods, droughts, and heatwaves are more frequent.
- Hurricanes, floods, drought, freezing conditions and heatwaves all take their toll annually in varying numbers.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.