In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1calentador masculinocalefactor masculinoestufa femeninonight storage heater — acumulador de calor masculino
- (in car) the heater doesn't work — la calefacción no funciona
- He made swift movements to turn on a Shard heater to warm the water in his tub.
- We will also be able to purchase five oil heaters to warm up the building and some food items to stock up our new freezer
- Other people have been going out and buying electric heaters to keep warm and using kettles to have a hot bath.
- The school can only allow a limited number of students into the building at one time because only a few classrooms can be warmed by electric heaters.
- Said Tim: ‘We keep Trelow warm with a furry hot water bottle and a heater, and for comfort he clings to a toy cow!’
- Since then they have had just a couple of electric heaters to warm the house and no hot water.
- And a tankless hot-water heater provides warm water on demand, rather than consuming energy 24 hours a day.
- ‘We don't have a heater or warm water,’ she told me, looking down.
- For £1 a time people stand in their swimming costumes under the warm air heaters and wait.
- I installed wall heaters, an electric water heater, dryer and range, but asked for help with a mechanical heat pump.
- I think that's a really important message that we need to get across to people, because whenever you say energy conservation, they immediately think turning off their heaters and not being warm and stuff.
- It hasn't been repaired yet and we are having to hire small heaters to keep it warm.
- The warm air from the heater and the steaming cups of caffeine didn't help me that much either.
- The appliance essentially consists of a water tank and a heater equipped with a thermostat control.
- Decades-old electric heaters struggled to warm the concrete.
- In fact, modern hire cruisers are equipped to a very high standard, so you can expect a full gas cooker, refrigerator and hot and cold running water - even heaters to take the early morning chill out of your cabin.
- Last night, while engineers from gas pipeline company Transco battled to repair the burst main and restore supplies, some residents were left to huddle round electric heaters to keep warm.
- And it had one rare commodity, a giant electric portable heater that warmed the entire unit.
- The boat even has a coal-effect heater, which warms two radiators.
- Little electric heaters are used to warm rooms and they now have three hot showers.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.