In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- They do not need a wall and are happy to scramble over heathers, conifers, trees or hedges.
- Rhododendrons, most heathers, camellias, pieris, skimmia, citrus and many others must have acid soil.
- Have you ever investigated all the available varieties of heaths and heathers?
- Containers can be given a new lease of life by replacing these plants with autumn and winter specimens such as pansies, winter-flowering heathers, hardy cyclamen and evergreen ivies.
- You can use a combination of plants: primulas, cyclamen, heathers and ivy are all useful for winter colour.
- Around the rock rested an expansive wreath of heathers and rhododendrons.
- This is beautifully landscaped and laid out so the customer can see what the heathers, conifers and shrubs he is planning to buy will look like in a garden.
- Asters look fabulous combined with gold variegated trailing ivies and heathers with lime-green or flame coloured foliage.
- Skimmias also like to grow in slightly acid soil, making them superb companions for the heathers and ivies of your choice.
- Tolerant of cold winds and frost, its height makes it an ideal pot plant in a mixed bed of carpeting heathers and ground-covering conifers.
- Groundcover plantings of smoky mauve heathers come alive in spring with surrounding sweeps of cobalt blue grape hyacinths.
- Its edge sliced the crisp air, graceful as its owner that stepped and leapt, feral across the ground, through the low purple heathers and verdant mosses.
- Litter is a foreign word and the flower beds are immaculate as the heathers and shrubs thrive in the winter weather with the daffodils lurking beneath the surface.
- A third of it is open heathland, carpeted with purple heathers and spotted yellow with gorse.
- ‘It's ideal for plants that are acid lovers, such as rhododendron, azaleas and heathers, and it's also weed-free,’ he said.
- We especially liked the colorful heathers and the brilliant Japanese maples.
- Another simple and instant solution would be to plant up twin containers with a combination of dwarf conifers and winter-flowering heathers that come in every shade from white through pink to dark red.
- Also, who is a good supplier of a variety of heathers that give a display all year round?
- In February and March, heathers and hellebores kick off Annemarie's garden's flowering season, which continues until late in the year.
- It's a shared space and has heathers, ferns, gorse and many wild flowers (not at this time of year) growing on it.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.