In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1ReligióncelestialHeavenly Father — Padre Celestial masculino
- The new covenant is linked with the new heavenly Jerusalem.
- Earlier views of Jesus had portrayed him as a heavenly figure who had come to reveal heavenly mysteries and to institute a new religion.
- God's love of humanity makes the heavenly Father into a heavenly Mother.
- If you do not forgive men their sins your heavenly Father will not forgive you.
- Phillip Frank is now a prince in God's heavenly kingdom.
- He knelt at the Pope's feet, took his hand, and said, ‘God bless you, heavenly father!’
- The prayer was so heavenly and full of earnest spirituality that all gathered were affected by it.
- In such instances, the chant becomes wordless and the music begins to echo a kind of heavenly or angelic music.
- Blessings are obtained from our heavenly Father through prayer.
- Next, John is shown the heavenly court where God shares his divine throne with Jesus, who appears in the form of a slain but risen Lamb.
- Our own churches are intended to be holy places - sanctuaries for the heavenly chorus, a place where God meets humans.
- Some picture it as a kind of spiritual capital - like money in a bank account - whereby credit is built up as the deposit on a heavenly rebirth.
- We who are the objects of that divine love are infinitely more treasured by our heavenly Father than we can know.
- But it is every blessing that is spiritual in heavenly places.
- The act of being robed in white by the heavenly benefactor speaks of the divine patron bestowing honor upon them in their hour of shame.
- But the Holy Spirit wants to raise our minds to our heavenly Father so that we can look at him and delight in him, just as he delights in us.
- Immortality means belonging to the family of God, the heavenly court.
- The members of the church today are blest with all spiritual blessings in the heavenly places in Christ.
- Let's listen carefully for the counsel of the Holy Spirit and train our eyes on the prize of the heavenly Jerusalem.
- It tries to gain advantages before God and obtain righteousness through a supposedly better life with more divine occupations and more heavenly thoughts.
2Astronomíacelesteheavenly bodies — cuerpos celestes masculino
- Perfect motion should be in circles, so the stars and planets, being heavenly objects, moved in circles.
- With allusions to the heavenly clutter of planets and stars, the artist gives his canvases a feeling of boundlessness.
3coloquial(superb)divino coloquialwe had a heavenly time — lo pasamos divino coloquial
- To be clement is to be lenient and compassionate, or, in the case of weather, perfectly heavenly.
- The flowers direct the eye upward past a small, brooding view of Toledo - at which point the picture seems to burst into an exultant heavenly space.
- I was about to give up when I spotted the most beautiful, perfect, heavenly, off white, romantic fairy-fantasy skirt at the far end of the floor.
- I had one this morning at one of our local spas and it was heavenly.
- They run out quickly of these heavenly delights, so get there early.
- It was like the world disappeared, and we were spinning in a void of perfect, heavenly intimacy and pleasure.
- Together we shall traverse this heavenly path to excellence.
- Everything seemed heavenly that morning, even washing the dishes, for Emlyn was filled with the euphoria of being on the road for the first time.
- Indeed, it was a heavenly delight to hear his sublimely pure ethical doctrine delivered with such powerful philosophic eloquence from the lips of its very creator.
- A new brand has appeared, and this morning I had a scallop dish that was truly heavenly.
- Thus, the Youth Daily proclaimed, ‘The draw of the Super Girls leaves the heavenly kings of pop in their dust.’
- Shopping is a mundane necessity for most of us, but for some, it is a heavenly delight that just can't be beaten by any other vice.
- A fireside chat in the wee hours of the morning attains a heavenly composure, the dramatic ethereal lighting making this their crucial scene.
- Jason Pierce oversaw the compilation of tracks here, and it serves as a timely reminder of the heavenly wonder of one of Britain's foremost musical talents.
- There are certainly heavenly smells that remind me how much I love and miss California.
- Paradise is easier for Sally to work with because Ruskin had already recognised it in a lush green flat space with heavenly views over Coniston and hills.
- ‘Hmmm,’ said Sophie when we entered the heavenly portals of the pleasuredome.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.