In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1peso pesado masculinoa political/literary/industrial heavyweight — un peso pesado de la política/literatura/industria
- But here we're talking heavyweights and neither fighter is exciting to watch, as is most of the rest of that weight class.
- Susana Alonso, Women's World Amateur heavyweight winner, made beautiful posing music with Armando Villa to take the top prize.
- In 1916, in front of 30,000 people in Barcelona, he fought heavyweight champion Jack Johnson, who knocked him out in the sixth round.
- The German was world heavyweight boxing champion from 1930-32.
- This allows smallish heavyweights to gradually move up without putting their careers at risk, in particular early in their careers.
- I figured I don't have to go out there and be a high-flying junior heavyweight.
- It exceeded all the heavyweight fights this year.
- In a fight full of trash-talking and taunting, Jones appeared tired early, and said having to lose weight to come down from heavyweight took its toll.
- Then again, with today's heavyweights that does make him a contender.
- There were three men's divisions: lightweight, heavyweight and open.
- His record equals that of his older brother, Stephen, who dominated the domestic scene as a super-heavyweight and heavyweight.
- He was boxing for six or seven years and during that time was national senior champion five times in all, three times at heavyweight and twice at super heavy weight.
- Like another heavyweight, Mike Tyson, Campbell's best days came as a young man.
- There is a part of me that finds it hard to believe because Ali took it to the body better than any heavyweight ever.
- The point is that we really don't know how to evaluate him when matched with a top tier heavyweight.
- That would be Walker's farewell fight in heavyweight and his career began to slide.
- Tyson hits like no other heavyweight, so when you get hit the first time, it is like a shock to your system.
- Where must it be ranked among the great clashes between light heavyweights and heavyweights?
- It was because they weren't heavyweights, and to expect them to compete with the heavyweight champion, who held the premier title in boxing, was ludicrous.
- It's supposed to be a fight between the best light heavyweight in the world and the 25th heavyweight in the world.
- He also happens to be a two-time world heavyweight boxing champ.
- But there are heavyweight champions I think that, even as a middleweight, I could have beaten.
- And before that, you were the heavyweight boxing champion of the world, am I right?
- Dolan's selection had been criticised in some quarters as he was stepped up to super heavyweight after winning three successive ABA titles at heavyweight but his ring skills are beyond doubt.
- The World's allow one entrant per division per country, while the World Games are one men's lightweight, middleweight and heavyweight per continent.
- And high on the wall he spotted the framed pair of boxing trunks worn and signed by world heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis.
- As most people know, I'm not a big fan of the heavyweights, as they are not only boring for the most-part, but slow moving.
- Jones would be best advised to take on small heavyweights if he wants to compete against the big boys, which is where the money is.
- There was a period in the 90s when Nelson held the World Boxing Federation heavyweight title.
- The boxers set a brisk pace for heavyweights, both relying on speed of hand and continual movement.
- The fighter once regarded as the most talented heavyweight, Mike Tyson, has become better known for doing violence outside the ring than in it.
- Burns was one of top three heavyweights at the time and certainly was the best white heavyweight when Jackson fought him.
- There is wrestling with college kids at Fresno State, where he was an All-American junior heavyweight.
- The greatest event in sports is world heavyweight boxing.
- The two heavyweights shook hands and spoke for a few moments.
- The other heavyweights know that they probably won't be hurt or knocked out by him, just humiliated.
- He has not boxed competitively since losing his World Boxing Council version of the world heavyweight title to Mike Tyson in 1995.
- I'm a light heavyweight, but this guy looked well over heavyweight and his tattoos made him look like a statue desecrated by graffiti.
- The life of luxury has its cost, and former heavyweight champion Mike Tyson says he can't afford it anymore.
- The former European heavyweight boxing champion wears his championship medals round his neck, lest anyone should forget.
1Deporte(boxer/wrestler) de la categoría de los pesos pesados(title) de los pesos pesados
- Gone are the days of the over-sized, thick, heavyweight shirt that feels rough against your skin.
- Built in the 19th Century, the crematorium is helping red-faced funeral directors tackle the problem of heavyweight clients' custom-built coffins.
- Choose high-quality, mediumweight fleece - lightweight fleece will not produce a fluffy bloom and two layers of heavyweight fleece are too bulky.
- With the weight penalty (a heavyweight publication), either hand carry it on the plane, or send it early for the festive season by sea mail!
- It was built from a combination of heavyweight concrete and steel ballast to develop the required weight.
- A slimming guru has received an award from a no-longer-so heavyweight TV critic for bringing Weight Watchers classes to Rochdale.
2(of fabric)(denim/cotton) grueso y resistente
- While Dr Lamont is about to embark on a three-year study on the history of magic at Edinburgh University, academics at Glasgow University have conducted a heavyweight series of seminars on the subject.
- Although his British career has been conducted at a lower pitch since the early 70s, he remains, at 61, among America's most favoured heavyweight interviewers.
- And in thin trading in the City, banks and telecom stocks were among the heavyweight blue-chips helping to fuel the late rally.
- Some got merely dozens of votes but very many were serious heavyweight contenders with a wide range of experience.
- Then I thought, this guy is a heavyweight cultural icon, better get a grip and make an effort to take it seriously.
- And it came out in the afternoon, while the heavyweight establishment News ruled the morning.
- The baby is due on July 4 and the 31-year-old heavyweight comic said he was ‘thrilled’ with the news.
- The lesson of the O J Simpson trial was that destroying the credibility of witnesses is a defence strategy that can outbalance the traditional heavyweight pointers of motive, means and opportunity.
- Another heavyweight contender for an award has to be the Ukrainian man who, while out walking his dog, threw a live hand grenade at a police cadet when the officer tried to point out that the dog should be leashed and muzzled.
- He claimed to have heavyweight support and the Yorkshire Post found plenty of backing for his campaign, which provides the first rallying point for the many people who think another tier of government will be a waste of time at best.
- He blamed the heavyweight lobbying power of the big banking institutions for the Government's decision to turn its back on post offices.
- Perhaps we have been wrong in thinking him a serious, heavyweight politician.
- With a serious heavyweight training behind him, his food is already to die for.
- This is a heavyweight resource about news and breakthroughs in the world of science.
- The trouble is, unfair as it may seem, a sizeable part of judgment is based on precedent - heavyweight disapproval is saved for those who ‘aren't normally like that’.
- As dean of Aberdeen University's arts and divinity faculty, Torrance is seen as an intellectual, a heavyweight theologian and the strongest competition.
- The harm is if people start thinking these lightweights are providing heavyweight answers.
- But in addition to being a heavyweight news presenter she has shown skill and financial acumen in producing general and feature programmes for TV.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.