In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(plants)arbustos para setos
- The front garden, which has side and front hedging, has a large side lawn with flowerbeds.
- This meant that when any hedging grew the flowerbeds would be hidden.
- There were plans to improve the hedging and install some large pipes in the grass bank.
- Sheltered by trees and shrubbery, with mature hedging on both sides, it has an extensive patio and is pleasantly secluded.
- Unfortunately, hedgehogs are nomadic and difficult to attract into a garden, but a pile of logs and dense native hedging will give them somewhere to hide.
- The rear garden, which is lawned and bordered by mature hedging, includes a spacious double garage with a remote control roller shutter and vehicular access.
- High hedging and large flowerbeds border the manicured central lawn.
- This is an important job as these attractive small shrubs, often used as low hedging, will quickly become woody if left unpruned.
- The front garden has a lawn set behind high hedging.
- A one acre garden to the rear is bordered by mature shrubs and trees while the front garden is quite private and screened from the road by tall hedging.
- The rubbish was commercial: second hand clothing and pruned hedging and trees.
- Height varies from less than a foot to more than 3 feet, making some species useful as ground covers and others as deciduous hedging.
- Other features include extensive hedging, shrubs and colourful annuals.
- Plants used for hedging are also planted closer together and the usual practice is to shear the plants into shape.
- With the exception of box - which remains hugely popular in both traditional and modern planting schemes - the use of medium and small-scale hedging within the garden is relatively rare.
- The front lawned garden has mature hedging while the driveway provides parking for three cars.
- Fresh cut flowers, organic vegetables, crafts and willow works as well as hedging plants and a shrub or nursery area are all on display.
- The property's walled front garden features a tiled entrance porch, two side lawns and high hedging.
- The lawned front garden is surrounded by high hedging and offers off-street parking.
- The gardens have mature trees, a fountain and hedging.
1.2Agriculturael cuidado de los setos
- They will pay for up to 70 per cent of the cost of hedging, walling, river management, weeding and mowing of grass in villages where stock has been excluded.
- ‘The grants will pay for up to 70% of the cost of hedging, walling, river management, weeding and mowing of grass areas where livestock has been excluded,’ he added.
- All through the winter the farm worker went hedging.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.