In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It is a novel about tension between duty and responsibility on the one hand and hedonism and indulgence on the other.
- How to deal with grave damage while still keeping going economies whose buoyancy is so related to confidence, morale and a degree of hedonism is an even more difficult question.
- Eventually we all fell asleep on the couch but I, fearing some moment of excessive hedonism, swiftly made an exit.
- To give in to the idea of being drunk as defining your excitement as a human being would be to cut against the grain of what I believed about social hedonism in the first place - that it was not about running away, but engaging.
- In the Town Square, shops have been replaced by cafes and restaurants and the last vestiges of mall functionality have been eradicated completely in favor of lifestyle hedonism.
- To her it was a ‘wonderful’ time that allowed the full talents of creative young people to flower, and claims of hedonism are a gross exaggeration.
- It's a glimpse into the golden age of kings, a lost world of luxury, political scheming, extravagance and hedonism.
- Traditional songs about love of God, nation, and family are now being pushed to the wayside in the world of country, as new tunes championing hedonism take center stage.
- There is a critique of hedonism, or the pursuit of pleasure.
- To me, hedonism and decadence are completely opposed.
- We have entered an age of trashy, casual hedonism in which mild decadence is all the rage.
- It's not so much that I've quietened down, as that I've channelled my energies into things that are more productive than out-and-out hedonism.
- The club sold its soul to the devil of capitalism, and whilst the short term gains were success, admiration, a growing international fan base and kudos, that avenue of hedonism has finally delivered the bill.
- The whole point of a sports car is hedonism, the selfish pursuit of pleasure.
- Surely their fate carries with it lurid tales of hedonism and excessive violence?
- Their faith, that ‘life is hard and success doesn't come easy ’, is undermined by Joe's evangelism of an earthly paradise of wealth and hedonism.
- Other people might get that hedonism via a drunken night out (indeed, I've been known to do this on one or two occasions), watching a movie, sport, whatever.
- He represents bored self-indulgence and hedonism.
- And predictably, there have been warnings that the new hedonism itself might be a touch too hedonistic, posing a potential risk to people's health and wellbeing.
- Let's remember her romance, her image, her hedonism, her families.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.