In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1porción femenino América Latinaración femenino Españaare there second helpings? — ¿se puede repetir?
- A quick shower and a good helping of junk food later, we were settling in to watch the final episode of the TV programme.
- They refuse her every wish - to wear plain, plaid dresses instead of fussy white muslin, to go barefoot outdoors, and to have second helpings of food.
- The glass lifts rush up to the summit of this slim building at such a rate I regretted having a second helping of waffles with the obligatory maple syrup at breakfast.
- Their favourite dish is cod and chips, served with a generous helping of salt and vinegar.
- I caught him trying to steal some of my food from the extra helpings on the plate.
- Cafe Bistro serves up a healthy helping of a special summer salad.
- He was up to seven pancakes and six helpings of sausage when I stopped counting.
- It's easy to say no publicly to second helpings and chocolate cake when you have eaten sweets before the meal.
- Mum always makes sure I get second helpings of food every time we have a meal.
- Do we eat to live, or live, in part, to dig into that second helping of banana cream pie?
- Be sure to politely say no thank you the next time someone offers to serve you large helping of meat pie at the dinner table.
- Mania is about desperately seeking to live life at a more passionate level: taking second and sometimes third helpings on food, alcohol, drugs, sex and money.
- It was an area where she could be creative, so she invented and experimented and, judging by Sam's compliments and the second helpings that he served himself with, she was rather good at it.
- At meal times surly British canteen staff allegedly refused to give the Indian marksmen second helpings of food.
- This is served with a helping of mashed potatoes, infused with onion for that unique cuisine taste.
- The pâté, pleasingly thick with a hint of orange, was cheerfully presented and came with a healthy helping of salad and grapes.
- Their idea of compassion is to ask the guest at the millionaire's banquet if they want an extra helping or a second dessert.
- Eliminate second helpings, high-calorie sauces and cookies made with butter, they say.
- The remains of my second helping of kielbasa and potato salad sat before me.
- He sat there, gloating as he ate his second helping of dessert.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.