In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Geografíahemisferio masculinothe northern/southern hemisphere — el hemisferio norte/sur
- For athletes from northern hemispheres, like Canada, this will prove to be a challenge due to the extreme climate change.
- If you read the map like a loyalist, the axis that held the hemispheres together still ran from the Aldwych along the Strand and into the Mall - and as it happened, this was my first walk in London, after I left the bridge.
- Leicester are now urging rugby union's governing bodies in the northern and southern hemispheres to agree to a date for such a fixture next term.
- Giant sperm whales are migratory, following the summer from northern to southern hemispheres.
- But the mobile, malleable young Australians of today move back and forth between worlds I thought to be mutually exclusive, and they have more hemispheres than two to choose from.
- The latitudinal studies involve seasonality near the equator and in each hemisphere.
- These petty squabbles half a hemisphere away are not helping us at all.
- Electronic mail already serves global corporations as a broadcast medium and a mechanism for one-on-one communication across hemispheres and time zones.
- Countries in both the Northern and Southern hemispheres continue to treat the world's rivers, seas and oceans as dumping grounds.
- The direction follows the magnetic poles of the Earth between the Southern and Northern hemispheres.
- The extension by one year of the mission will provide opportunities to extend the global coverage, compared to the original six-month mission, and to map both southern and northern hemispheres at high resolution.
- They are found in the eastern and western hemispheres and nest on beaches throughout the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian Oceans.
- In both the northern and southern hemispheres aridity occurs at latitudes characterized by more or less permanent high pressure cells and hot dry subsiding air.
- In our hemisphere, areas of high barometric pressure, anticyclones, create winds which circulate anticlockwise.
- The high latitudes of the northern and the southern hemispheres are very different geographically.
- As recently as October 2001, scientists gathered images of auroras occurring simultaneously in the northern and southern hemispheres, confirming that the auroral ovals mimic each other.
- He says there is a clear southern-northern hemisphere divide.
- In 1994 Burma and Cuba, rogue states in their respective hemispheres, started tourism campaigns to secure much-needed foreign exchange.
- It may signal the start of a prolonged conflict between the two hemispheres that, due to the restructuring of the marketplace caused by globalization, will not follow the accepted conventions of warfare.
- You will get a taste of several climates as you sail from winter in the United Kingdom, across the tropics to summer in the Southern Hemisphere, and on to the southern edge of that hemisphere's temperate zone.
- The vertebrobasilar arteries supply the brain stem, cerebellum, and occipital lobes; the cerebral hemispheres are supplied through the carotid arteries.
- Their appearance could also be the result of tissue compression and developing injury in the contralateral hemisphere due to the expanding edema formation.
- They do both their thinking and acting with only the left brain hemisphere.
- Within the hemisphere, three brain regions work together to control reading.
- The left brain hemisphere posterior speech areas showed much greater activation for forward than backward speech.
- There certainly are differences between the left and right brain hemispheres.
- One area is the subventricular zone of the lateral ventricles, which are fluid-filled cavities in both brain hemispheres connected to the central canal of the spinal cord.
- And it's clear that this whole notion that the left hemisphere is the language hemisphere and the right hemisphere is a visual hemisphere cannot be applied to a rat, okay?
- However, since the Chinese language combines sound and shape, both hemispheres are used in speaking Chinese.
- Sensory axons extend from the skin of the big toe to the base of the brain; and motor axons run from the motor cortex of the cerebral hemispheres right down to motor neurons at the bottom of the spinal cord.
- The human brain is divided in two hemispheres and, when the eye first lands on a word, the two parts of the word are initially projected to opposing sides of the brain.
- The brain includes the cerebral hemispheres, the cerebellum, and the brain stem.
- The brain had multiple hemorrhagic lesions within both cerebral hemispheres and the cerebellum.
- The two hemispheres of the vertebrate brain have also become specialised.
- Given that the dominant view is that the left hemisphere is the happening place for language and the right hemisphere is superior for music, we immediately hit the conundrum, what about singing with words?
- Lesions in the cerebral hemispheres and brainstem included perivascular lymphocytes in leptomeninges and parenchyma, with scattered microglial nodules in gray and white matter.
- Our hemispheres always work together so that we will experience a combination of right and left hemisphere in everything we do.
- The right hemisphere embodies those artistic and intuitive qualities of holistic and integral design that are are familiar in all great design, art and craft.
- If a stroke occurs in the dominant hemisphere in the frontal area of the brain, the patient will lose the ability to produce language.
- It has been known for many years that people with large lesions of the frontal lobes in both hemispheres have great difficulty inhibiting inappropriate behaviors.
- The code was validated by comparing the computed forces and torques with the analytic solutions for a hemisphere and sphere in point contact with the wall and also computations for axisymmetric spherical caps and spheroids.
- When set, gently remove from molds and form eight spheres by gently pressing two hemispheres together at their centers and rolling between hands.
- The cell body is actually a cylinder capped at both ends by hemispheres and the radius of the flagellum helix is smaller than that of the cell body.
- A long plumb line, emerging from the bottom of the hemisphere, seems to suddenly drop, its tip a smaller, whirling cluster, reminiscent of the pooling and rippling of water.
- When the explosives go off, the hemispheres are pushed together into a sphere of critical mass.
- The hemispheres then split as readily as carrot sliced lengthwise with a knife, and with as crisply delicious a sound.
- The sun was a glowing hemisphere, its faint rays slanting across the sea.
- The hand-sized hemisphere that occupies the heart of each sculpture is a symbolic evocation of these small, sacred vessels, and the holy river is referenced by the circular steel ring that supports the hemisphere.
- There is no silence like the windblown silence found in the flat desert, at the center of a world divided between two perfect hemispheres of earth and sky.
- On a wall was a 50-inch-square inked canvas called Moon that showed the pocked lunar face, which recalls in two dimensions the protruding hemispheres of the sculptures.
- He described the boats as ‘basically overgrown baskets’ as we contemplated the stacks of green ash laths waiting to be soaked, bent and woven into tight little hemispheres.
- The sculpture consists of an elliptical loop of steel, attached to which are spheres and hemispheres fashioned from strips of steel.
- They were constructed by welding together two hemispheres, with holes in each end for screwed fittings.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.