In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(restaurant/establishment/hotel) de lujo(merchandise/confectionery) de primera calidad(area/apartment) de categoría(apartment/area) de alto standing España(person) de clase altaa high-class prostitute — una prostituta de lujo
- The fictional Montecito is a high-class casino and hotel in the heart of Vegas.
- Members of Bingley Operatic Society said the idea to replace the arts centre with a high-class food store was ludicrous.
- I go to the cheap markets and the expensive markets, I mix with low-class and high-class society.
- My dad is really uptight and we live in a fancy high-class neighborhood.
- Slowly shops and other amenities grew up beside the inns and a high-class residential area called Belle Grove was built.
- Visitors could stay in one of the planned luxury hotels, enjoy top-quality entertainment at the arena and drop in to the casino before eating in one of the range of high-class restaurants which will grace the waterfront.
- He has all the right credentials to make a high-class hurdler.
- The council can spend as much money on surveys as they like, they will never attract any high-class businesses or get the good shoppers to come back.
- I feel a high-class hotel with all its attendant facilities would carry more kudos than yet more apartments.
- A high-class novice hurdler last season, Lord Sam has won both his races over fences in the style of a hugely talented young chaser.
- He believes high-class cashmere products are the only way ahead.
- He was today starting a seven-year jail sentence exactly one month after the raid at the high-class jewellers near York Minster.
- Amateurs rather than professionals provided entertainment the same evening in a high-class concert at Victoria Hall.
- He comes from a high-class family of mandarin intellectuals who despised commerce and viewed making money as vulgar.
- One former high-class call-girl, however, is prepared to explain in detail how some agencies work.
- Once a fixture at some of Manchester's most high-class establishments, he now rubs shoulders with truckers and tea ladies.
- A high-class Bradford city centre restaurant has been put up for sale - less than three months after it was reopened with a new menu.
- Also among the suggestions being looked at for the site is a high-class hotel, conference centre and restaurant.
- The seven-day event will attract high-class musicians and 1000 spectators per show each night.
- For a spot of high-class window shopping at the expense of Prada, Valentino and Versace, try a stroll down Madison Avenue.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.