In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1alto mando masculinothe orders come direct from high command — las órdenes vienen directamente de la cúpula / de los altos mandos
- The battle was won, but there would be no great credit given to the organizers, to the high command or to the political leadership.
- Thompson also believes that rivalry between the British and American high commands in the Pacific was a factor.
- The fact that the military high command has issued what amounts to an open challenge to the court is not surprising.
- The Army high command promptly forbade any future joint exercises.
- His public implication of treason on the part of the Navy and Army high commands led to his court-martial and conviction that fall.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.