In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1sumo sacerdote masculino
- It was the only day in the Jewish calendar when the high priest could enter the innermost room of the temple - the most holy place.
- Jerusalem itself was governed by the Jewish high priest, who was responsible to a Roman prefect.
- Mark 14: 66-72 records how, in the court of the high priest, Peter three times denied that he was a disciple of Jesus.
- Inside, behind a great curtain, is the Holy of Holies, where the high priest, like Moses before him, communes with the Lord.
- The two main characters involved in Jesus's death are Pontius Pilate, the Roman governor, and Caiaphas, the Jewish high priest.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.