In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1cadera femenino(size/measurement) (before noun) de caderaswith one's hands on one's hips — con los brazos en jarras
- to be broad/narrow in the hip(s) — ser ancho/estrecho de cadera(s)
- She wore no coat and a pair of old, ragged shorts hugged her slim hips.
- The message that large hips are healthy follows a drive by some high street stores to recognise that big is beautiful.
- But there was Mac, with her height, wide hips, and generous backside and chest.
- They have the option of the ‘comfort fit’ jeans, which are cut to hide a generous waistline and ample hips.
- Then Lastri related how customers would frequently touch or brush against her hips and buttocks.
- As Graham followed her swaying hips inside, he had to fight with his body for control.
- The third group is composed of patients that have a mild amount of excess in the belly, hips, thighs and sagging buttocks.
- The royal family are shown with elongated skulls and pear-shaped bodies with skinny torsos and arms but fuller hips, stomachs and thighs.
- The low waistline hugged her hips and the skirt was not heavy or overflowing.
- Begin by tightening your buttocks and lifting your hips off the floor.
- Only four and a half feet tall, she had enormous hips and buttocks, but otherwise normal body parts.
- She had an fine body, even though she was a tad wider in the hips and behind area then fashion models, mind you, she did eat.
- If your hips, buttocks or thighs start to have an unsightly rippled look, use Celutrol's massage glove.
- Their backsides, hips and thighs are also larger.
- The ideal shape has a deep V-neck and is long enough to cover the hips and bottom.
- This workout targets the quadriceps, hamstrings, buttocks, upper hips, inner thighs and calves.
- The costume fit snugly around her obvious curves at the waist, hips, and upper chest.
- If you're a bit heavy and feel that a tapered hem makes your hips or upper thighs look bigger, try a straight leg style instead.
- She has a 52 in bust, 64 in hips, and the circumference of her arms is 22 in.
- If you carry most of your fat around your hips and thighs or lower body, you're considered to be pear-shaped.
2(joint)cadera femeninothey fitted him with a plastic hip — le pusieron una cadera de plástico
1escaramujo masculinohips and haws — escaramujos y espinos
- Less well known is rose hip soup, a sweet, cold soup high in vitamin C, traditionally served during the long winter months when fruits are scarce.
- It is remarkably rich in vitamin C, outdoing even rose hips in this respect and having a twentyfold advantage over oranges, weight for weight.
- The fall brings bright orange rose hips to decorate the bush.
- You can avoid caffeine by choosing green teas such as Chinese Gunpowder, and herbal teas with rose hips, chamomile, peppermint and raspberry.
- The hedgerows are rich with fruit, elderberries, blackberries, sloes, hips and damsons.
- Filled with the energy of a season's growth, hips and berries are certainly the fruit of a plant's labour.
- Allow the dead flowers to form hips, which helps signal the plants that winter's coming.
- In autumn, the flowers are transformed into small bright orange hips.
- And the vitamin C content is among the highest for any plant - fourth after rose hips, hot chili pepper and sweet red pepper.
- Developing rose hips and seeds above the girdling will die.
- Permit rose hips to remain on the shrub as food for overwintering birds and color interest in an otherwise dull winter garden.
- Then we scramble down the slope to the stony beach, and nibble on wild rose hips.
- Lemon juice bleaches the color; try rose hips instead.
- Evening primrose, wheat germ, and rose hip seed oils all make fine additives to this mask.
- Rosa rugosa alba has white flowers and huge orange hips, while R rugosa scabrosa has pink flowers and tomato-red hips.
- You can even make rose hip tea for yourself and your guests!
- And like the apple or most any fruit, the hip can be used in several ways by the successful gardener.
- After the flowers fade, they produce large orange or red hips that may reach an inch across.
- The hips of shrub roses make a colorful display, while southern magnolia has large seedpods with glowing red berries.
- Crab apples were used as were sloes, rose hips and rowan berries.
1(invariable adjective) 'in' coloquial anticuadoen la onda coloquialshe's really hip to what's going on — está muy en la onda de lo que ocurre coloquial
- She can be hip and happening and studious at the same time.
- I guess they'll ‘get it’ on the repeat and I'll look hip and groovy.
- I thought it was some new street slang that I wasn't yet hip to.
- Aimed at the youth, the designers promise a young, funky and hip look in their collections.
- Which bands are hip young things with cool haircuts currently referencing?
- They are empty, overly wholesome fodder that only give off the ‘aura’ of being hip and fashionable.
- ‘Shiny, 24-year-old people who were all very hip and cool were going into this thing,’ he said.
- After Dil Chahta Hai, this is Aamir's latest attempt at a cool and hip flick.
- Yes, we deliberately chose people who were high profile, and also yes, quite cool and quite hip and quite witty.
- I bought a packet at the weekend, and it now comes in a new funky, hip packaging.
- The new look is very cool, very hip, with lots of good pictures.
- But now it's a fashionable district of hip bars and restaurants, full of restored synagogues, Jewish cemeteries and kosher restaurants.
- I didn't want to bring this up, but, you know - revolutionaries as we have known them were anything but trendy, hip people.
- I'd like to say I bought them specially for the party, being far too hip and funky to ever have such items of clothing in my wardrobe, but I can't.
- He's hip to what he calls "the game" the music business has evolved into.
- In today's culture, it's very hip and very cool to be seen as a person who is searching for ‘truth.’
- You could be wearing the most fashionable, hip outfit, and you will still look like a doofus when you're on vacation.
- It's fun, bubbly and wonderful to look at, a real treat for the eyes and ears in a totally groovy, hip kind of way.
- I first spotted it on goobita a while back, but now it's all the rage with the hip groovy kids of Britain.
- It was might cool place where all the hip cats and dudes hangout.
- She and Jonze married in 1999, in front of a hip crowd peppered with designer rock and fashion icons.
- The atmospheres that you dance around in looks very hip and trendy and is, obviously, quite fitting to the theme of the game.
1hip, hip, hooray / hurrah! — ¡viva!
- Hip Hip Hooray! OK, Dad is out of the woods. He was moved on Monday to the "Transitional Care Unit" (rehab floor).
- Neil was born today, hip-hip hooray!
- home information pack
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.