In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(relating to past events, people)históricothere is some historical evidence to believe that … — hay bases históricas para creer que …
- the greatest earthquake in historical times — el mayor terremoto de la historia
- a historical novel — una novela histórica
- Years ago, authors used to take their time about writing about historical figures.
- Why should it be illegal to deny the existence of a historical event we all know took place?
- Also, it is based more on historical developments than on religious teachings.
- Many address recognizable contemporary events and the broad historical dynamics of cultural change.
- You also console yourself with the knowledge that these are historical artefacts from a bygone era.
- To that end, Grass says they're playing the archetypes rather than the historical figures.
- Further insight can be gained by studying the historical development of an author's thought.
- Without it, York's historical fabric would have been ruined and its retail heart irreparably damaged.
- Until recently, the subject was studied as historical periods rather than particular units.
- He said another important concern involves the two warships' historical background.
- I'm sure that historical religious figures would be annoyed by all the din produced today.
- As with all great historical figures, the myth is both powerful and pervasive.
- The work opens up the world of this historical people, namely the ancient Greeks.
- We begin with an analysis of the historical development of British industrial relations.
- We urge tram workers and all those looking for a way forward to turn to a study of these vital historical lessons.
- Ellroy pioneered the introduction of real historical figures and episodes into his novels.
- Contemporary historical sociology is concerned above all with how the state has developed since the Middle Ages.
- Belief in a religion is belief in an idea and in particular historical figures whether Muhammad, Christ or Joseph Smith.
- Studies based on historical records are necessarily limited in the kinds of questions they can answer.
- Our cast list expanded to include historical figures remembering the distant rather than the recent past.
- Do you have a favourite place, food, drink or historical figure in Bulgaria that you will also remember?
- There's a speculative component to attempting to do diagnoses on historical figures.
- But she says her love of the ancient sport traced back to a family passion for historical weaponry.
- This article is based on analysis of historical and contemporary data, including interviews and site visits.
- This may be due to the constant reminiscing of certain horrendous historical events.
- Backed by a wealth of material, the book revealed in detail the historical facts concerning these events.
- The burial ground of some of the area's leading historical figures is regularly the scene of attacks.
- It is, supposedly, new and different and it would be inappropriate to set every event in its historical context.
- The burial ground of some of Carlow's leading historical figures is regularly the scene of attacks.
- The actors discuss the challenges of playing recognisable historical figures.
- We give a little historical background to these events in our article Babylonian mathematics.
- The version presented here is based on United Nations historical documentations.
- The girl will also tell the important historical events in India in the last 500 years.
- Two historical figures, then, standout as examples and mentors for us today.
- For the practitioner, it presents a landscape of historical figures that have made their mark.
- It is not easy to get inside the head of a real-life historical figure but Galloway has accomplished this with absolute ease.
- Second, Coerver and Hall exhibit a knack for casting recent events in historical perspective.
- Only later is the full historical significance of the event clearly evident.
- They do not have the same concerns about historical objectivity that professional historians do.
- The audience surveys a melange of imaginary figures, and historical ones both famous and obscure.
2(factual, true)históricoit's a historical fact that … — es un hecho histórico que …
- the historical Jesus — Jesús, el personaje histórico
- a historical reenactment of the battle — una representación históricamente fidedigna de la batalla
3(related to history)(atlas/research/study) históricothe historical method — el método histórico
4uso criticadohistoric, historical
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.