In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1it's Hobson's choice — no hay posibilidad de elegir
- I relished the opportunity to cook whatever I wanted when I chose, instead of having to take Hobson's choice of a warmed-over plate of fried rice back at the boardinghouse before the kitchen closed at 10 p.m.
- This gives transit planners a Hobson's choice: fewer buses equals infrequent service equals inconvenience equals no riders; frequent service means paying a bundle to run near-empty buses.
- But Hobson's choice is no choice.
- The choices they made were mostly Hobson's choices.
- And attracting private investors to the state came to be the Hobson's choice.
- There is not simply a Hobson's choice between free trade and no trade.
- But it's a Hobson's choice - if you invest in a country like Burma, you create problems.
- Given this Hobson's choice, more than 100 families opted to lease.
- They resent the fact that they will basically be given Hobson's choice.
- Hence, a Hobson's choice was not a choice at all.
- It looks like Hobson's choice for local councils lose your toilets now, or be forced to close them in three years' time.
- And why are we only offered this Hobson's choice of slowing down our decline instead of reversing it?
- Instead, the viewer gets this Hobson's choice: either torturous dubbing or no sound at all.
- It is as if the diplomatic option given is Hobson's choice.
- For many film-makers, handycams are a Hobson's choice.
- Army senior leaders must not be placed in a position where the choice between manpower and long-term modernization/readiness is a Hobson's choice.
- Home furnishings became a Hobson's choice: mom's living room set and a yard-sale dining room table.
- ‘That's the Hobson's choice you get when you hand juries these giant cases,’ he says.
- This is a cruel Hobson's choice that women will be forced to confront.
- Today, Begg has been offered a Hobson's choice.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.