In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1coloquial(deception)trampa femeninomasculino galimatías
- Our most beloved hocus-pocus of all is the idea that economic growth will rescue us from all our troubles - but last fall the economy grew 8 percent without creating any new jobs to speak of.
- As I've already said, there are lots of people who are sceptical about psychics, and think that's it's just hocus-pocus.
- The operation behind the printing of those statements is a show of such technological hocus-pocus that it is distracting.
- And no amount of organic industry hocus-pocus can make that truth disappear.
- No statistical hocus-pocus can hide this real-life, greed-induced assault on our country's middle class.
- More evidence of religious hocus-pocus over substance?
- There is no hocus-pocus, no aggressive posturing or screaming for effect.
- He never offers specifics; it's all hocus-pocus.
- By the dawn of the Scientific Revolution, researchers equipped with microscopes founded modern chemistry - and dismissed alchemy as hocus-pocus.
- His bill not only includes some $400 million a year in direct subsidies, but it also attempts to bamboozle us with linguistic hocus-pocus, simply defining away the industry's environmental ugliness.
- In the healing story that Mark tells, things are even more ordinary: a simple question, a brief response, no hocus-pocus.
- Without these other figures, the rest is hocus-pocus.
- And if the virtual world is broad, it obviously isn't broad enough to enable one to escape from this kind of corporate hocus-pocus.
- For secrets on the technical hocus-pocus, go with the two production commentaries.
- One is simply another name for psychic healing and involves none of the fake hocus-pocus of the other.
- Yet while most mind-reading acts wrap their shows up in a cloak of hocus-pocus, Salem portrays his mind games as science.
- As he puts it, ‘There is always a conundrum, a mystery and hocus-pocus in an established religion.’
- He recalled that his father suffered greatly because people misunderstood what he did for black magic or some other hocus-pocus.
- Of course, after all the reports of financial hocus-pocus, investors are understandably wary of earnings figures being put out by corporations.
- I like the simple, durable types that have manual controls - no electronic hocus-pocuses.
- But everything else in this ‘investigation’ is not much more than editorial hocus-pocus.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.