In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(of permit, passport, job) titular femenino(of ticket) poseedor masculino(of ticket) poseedora femenino(of bonds etc) titular masculino(of bonds etc) tenedor masculino(of bonds etc) tenedora femenino
1.2(of title, cup)poseedor masculinoposeedora femeninohe's the current world record holder — es el plusmarquista mundial
2(for holding season ticket, bus pass etc)funda femeninoa cigarette holder — una boquilla
- a plant pot holder — un macetero
- The files fell open and knocked my pen holder to the ground.
- Second, I do not think it is right to ignore the terms of the investment agreement which refer to the investments and cash being held for the account holders as beneficial joint tenants.
- After losing an passport, the passport holder need to go the nearest police station to claim the lose of passport
- Federal officials briefly interviewed the pardoned men - all holders of U.S. passports - and then let them go their way.
- Her habit of smoking cigarettes through a long holder - sometimes as many as 60 a day - became her trademark.
- The women had a silk scarf wrapped around her head, and smoked a cigarette out of a cigarette holder.
- My brother and I are both joint passport holders and the three of us registered to vote for the first time especially for this election.
- In my house there's a compost bin, a box for tins and bottles, a plastic container, a holder for plastic bags, and an old newspaper corner.
- For holders of share certificates a fee of £10 plus 1.65 per cent commission per deal will apply.
- The bank has offered a further reduction of 0.25 per cent for Standard Chartered credit card holders and account holders with the bank.
- The UK government has drawn up contingency plans for evacuating more than 20,000 British passport holders if things get worse.
- The decision forced the council to pay hundreds of thousands of pounds to look after the British passport holders, who arrived in October.
- All other passport holders must hold a visa before travelling to Australia.
- When a refund cheque is presented to a bank, the bank will cross-check the name and identity details of the payee on the cheque against the bank's own record on the account holder.
- Then there are the popular clay water pots, coffee mugs, magazine holders, clock stands, letter boxes and flower vases.
- Waist packs with water bottle holders are good alternatives.
- She asked, pointing her cigarette holder to a billboard.
- For instance, someone born in Britain may be a citizen of that country by birthright, even though his or her parents were not holders of British passports.
- It looks splendid and magical, and is downright inspiring with its real grass, cup holders on the seats and a scoreboard big enough for Times Square.
- It was famed gossip columnist, wearing a bright red evening gown, smoking a cigarette in a holder and sitting behind a long metal table.
- They also have birdhouses, pencil holders and wine bottle holders.
- British passport holders don't require visas if staying less than 60 days.
- There are also discounts available for the thrifty to holders of American Express cards.
- The cover featured a cartoonish drawing of a man in a Hawaiian shirt with a long cigarette holder and a suitcase, looking very guilty about something.
- Indian passport holders applying for visas outside India should obtain a statement from their local embassy or consulate confirming that they had no criminal record.
- Many account holders are likely to be shopkeepers, businessmen, farmers or professionals who may have spent most of the hidden money on holidays or university fees.
- After they sat down, Pheobe put the drink into the cup holder that was on the back of the seats in front of them.
- William slides his water bottle into the cup holder and shut his door, finally putting the key in the ignition.
- There are also holders for spectacles, cups and bottles.
- Within 5 minutes, the girls joined a rather extensive line of fellow V.I.P pass holders.
- On top of this there are plenty of storage trays in the dashboard, centre console and doors as well as a sunglasses case, cup holders and bottle holders.
- China is being asked to explain why it doubled the prices of tourist visas for UK and US passport holders, officials in Hong Kong confirmed yesterday.
- Some of these mobile phone holders are meant to double as mug holders that can easily hold a cup of hot coffee without allowing the contents to spill out and make a mess on the floorboards.
- There are plenty more stowage points dotted around the car, including glove box, front door pockets, cup and bottle holders, and a special slide out shelf beneath the front seats.
- Indeed, payment of dividends could begin as early as next year, with holders of preferred stock receiving the first dividend payments.
- There was in addition, however, a major group of UK passport holders resident abroad who, as full UK citizens, were not covered by the Act.
- In December the EU decided that all passport holders, visitors and foreign resident nationals should be fingerprinted.
- Each of the two new cinemas contain wonderful stadium seating with soft upholstery and armrest cup holders.
- They settled down into their seats, setting the slushy drinks into the cup holders, and the popcorn on the armrest between them.
- Car manufacturers boast of the number of cup holders their models contain.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.